Can't build it... will this do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I definitely am not attempting to build something that uses electricity, out of the question. But I am very interested in switching to an electric system. This product came up in a totally unrelated thread, but the person who mentioned it said it takes about an hour to get 5 gallons to a boil.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BDB4UG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

For the price, I'd be willing to buy two of them, but my question is whether I could plug two of these into the same outlet. The way my brewing area is set up currently, I would have to use the same outlet or get a long extension cord for one of them. Anyone have any experience with this product or insight into whether two in one outlet would be ok?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you can certainly plug two of them into one circuit IF the circuit (and breaker) is properly rated for them. Two of them = 2000W total. 2000W/120V= 16.7A. Therefore, a 20A breaker (with the appropriate wiring, too, of course) would suffice.

I'm not sure if 1000W can boil 5+ gallons, but I would suggest building a heatstick as opposed to buying bucket heaters. It's cheap, easy, and fun to build. In fact, I suggest building two of them. :)

Going to have to check my outlets I guess ;)

Building one is definitely out of the question. I don't want to mess with electrical work. I'd rather stick to getting into gunfights ;) One of you experts need to get going on a little side business!

I am surprised nobody has started selling heat sticks or even Kal Style element setups to mount through a kettle. I suppose the potential risk is too great.

I seem to recall from a previous thread that these bucket heaters are definitely NOT designed for food use and have all kinds of nasty stuff in them.

Those heaters have two purposes that i know of. One is to keep water supplies warm for contractors in the winter (tile saws). And to keep water troughs for cattle and horses from freezing. Im not sure if you can set them high enough to boil wort.

Rock Chalk

Chris

IrregularPulse said:
I am surprised nobody has started selling heat sticks or even Kal Style element setups to mount through a kettle. I suppose the potential risk is too great.

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Heat-Stick.html

Rebel brewer sells one. There isn't much info on their site about it though. I live near them and have seen it in their showroom and it looks quality. It looks like there is a pot on it to control temp as well.

Perhaps give them a call.

Thankfully, I asked a friend and he says he could build it in minutes from what I described. He's an electrician and builds his own light saber replicas with lights and everything for fun. We're gonna talk later in the week. If he is interested, I'm going to ask if he wants to build them for sale.

The description states - The heater, while immersed in water, will heat continuously past 150 F. and towards boiling, depending on the volume of water and the container's insulation. Towards boiling?? Not sure if they would boil 5 gallons or not.

The description states - The heater, while immersed in water, will heat continuously past 150 F. and towards boiling, depending on the volume of water and the container's insulation. Towards boiling?? Not sure if they would boil 5 gallons or not.

I'm sure it would have a hard time to boil, but heat stick are usually used to assist the boil and maybe maintain the boil.

If you have the heat stick in and a burner going it should get to a boil fairly quickly, and once its at a boil you might be able to cut off the burner and sustain it with just the heat stick or vice versa.

I seem to recall from a previous thread that these bucket heaters are definitely NOT designed for food use and have all kinds of nasty stuff in them.

This bucket heater is just a different version of a water heater element. There shouldn't be any kind of "nasty stuff". It also says the shroud is stainless, which is good. I would use this in the hlt and then use propane for the boil.

This bucket heater is just a different version of a water heater element. There shouldn't be any kind of "nasty stuff". It also says the shroud is stainless, which is good. I would use this in the hlt and then use propane for the boil.

Do you know what is used to seal all the connections?

My recollection is that someone here on HBT called the manufacturer, and the manufacturer said no way should you use it for food because it uses _______.

Back