Appalachian State brewer, Boone, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeradical

Reaction score
Bio/chem major at ASU. I've been reading the forum for a while and I think I have finally learned enough to have questions and comments that aren't completely ignorant. Looking forward to brewing with all of you.

-freeradical

Welcome to HBT from another relative newbie. Are you in the fermentation science program they started at App State?

Hey, yeah, well sort of. The fermentation sciences department is still working on receiving the funding to get started, but I recently declared my self a double major by adding chemistry with a concentration in fermentation science, because as a part of the chemistry department it already has funding and is the next best thing.

I'm actually taking a class with 11 other students called fermentation science that's held in a bar where the kitchen has been converted into a micro brew. All of my friends are jealous of the "sensory analysis" we get to participate in during class :mug:

Wow freeradical, that sounds great. I heard a little about that program recently on npr. So it doesn't only focus on fermentation for your imbibing pleasure but for other purposes (fuel, etc.) if I'm not mistaken. There was an article in Mother Earth News a while back about fermenting corn for fuel that I found interesting, but I'm off subject here. Again, welcome and good luck on your course work. And it would be cool to hear more about it...

Boone! Welcome, I got to go to the Rock for the Villanova playoff game in December, very nice hospitality you guys have up there in the mountains. I never want to go back to the Rock though, big time home field advantage, although we did get the win thankfully.

Welcome! I went to app in 07-09, loved it up there. My fiance graduates from Lees-McRae this year, won't be up there as much after that. Beautiful area, love it

Welcome FreeRadical, I just moved down to this area and will be looking for people to brew with. I've been into the hobby for a long time, but an fairly inexperienced because i never get to do it. Hoping to get my gear down here soon and set up.

Welcome freeradical! Spent a lot of time in Boone visiting one of my best friends while we were in college. I went to ETSU and he went to App St. Made for quick rides back and forth to hang out. It's a good thing they didn't have that back when I was in school. Would have easily gone there for that over my computer science/math degree.

From one forum noob to another: welcome! Im over at UNCG's biochem department and while we dont have a fermentation sciences program, I consider myself self-educated in that department haha. Though I must say, the people there all seem to enjoy the beer as much as I do!

Welcome! App State 2001 alum here. Also born in Boone.

Welcome free radical. You will find several science majors and engineering majors her on this board. I graduated from Illinois with a degree in Chemistry. My oldest son is a senior at App State. We always go to Peabody's when I am in town for some good beer. If you haven't been there it is a nice bottle shop.

We always go to Peabody's when I am in town for some good beer. If you haven't been there it is a nice bottle shop.
Yea, Peabody's is great. There's also two more beer/wine stores on King Street now, one of which finally started selling home brewing supplies!

Back