apple juice use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron,ar

Reaction score
We have a gallon of home squeezed apple juice that has been sitting sealed in a glass jar for about 3 years. I think it was Arkansas Black Apples. I have no idea how it was processed as it was given to me. If I were going to use it for anything what are some suggestions? I did open it today and it did smell ok but not very strong. Should I check SG? What about sanitation? I am either going to use it in a beverage of some sort or pour it out. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I would heat it up to around 160 to 180, but not boil for a few minutes to be safe. Should be interesting.

- magno

I wouldn't heat it at all- you'll set the pectin and make apple jelly. I would do several things- first, take an s.g. so you know where you're starting. Then, add campden tablets (one per gallon, so just one!) and let sit 12-24 hours. Then, proceed with winemaking!

Apple wine is one of my favorites, and I think you'll be happy with it.

ron said:
We have a gallon of home squeezed apple juice that has been sitting sealed in a glass jar for about 3 years. I think it was Arkansas Black Apples. I have no idea how it was processed as it was given to me. If I were going to use it for anything what are some suggestions? I did open it today and it did smell ok but not very strong. Should I check SG? What about sanitation? I am either going to use it in a beverage of some sort or pour it out. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

If it was sealed, I wouldn't advise boiling either, unless you have access to pectin neutralizer (?) (stops the natural inclination of boiled fruit to "jell") . Camden will take care of eboli or other things but not halt natural yeast already in the Juice as pasteurization would. You probally wont need wine yeast but I'm sure others here will beg differ. :D
Either way, tis a fine start for a wonderful wine!

Good luck!

Copper

Latest posts

Back