Making Port or fortified wine.... please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phished880

Reaction score
I was give 1/2 gallon of grade B VT maple syrup. I was think about making 1.5 gals of maple "wine" and taking 1/2 gal and making a port/ fortified wine. My question are

1. What yeast should i use?
2. When do i fortify?
3. What booze should i use to fortify?
4. How much should i use?

Also any other suggestion or tips for me would be GREAT!!!!

thanks
J

What you are looking for it something called Pearson's Square. The theory looks like this: http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/blending_wine.htm. It was harder to find the theory than it was to find just websites that calculate it for you.

Basically, make your wine (or don't), and then pick your other alcohol. The Pearson's Square will tell you how much of what to reach a desirable ABV.

The reason I say "don't" is because I really like pommeau, which is apple juice fortified with apple brandy, and then aged for 18 months in oak. The apple juice is in no way fermented, but enough brandy is added to prevent it from fermenting (17% according to Wikipedia). But of course, you could start with a wine and add a spirit, but the blend would probably be less spirit. The Pearson's Square would tell you.

I know I didn't answer all of your questions, but I'm not sure how to treat maple syrup wine. But basically, make your wine like you normally would, pick your spirit, and then blend the two according to the Pearson's Square, and then maybe age it a bit longer.

I hope that helps.

Chaptilization - Adding additional sugar throughout the fermentation process and using a yeast strain that can handle the higher ABV potential will get you in the ballpark of a port wine. Several yeast strains are available. I start with EC-1118. If the desired level of alcohol is too low, you can then add brandy (doesn't need to be top shelf, but it helps).

Check out Jack Kellars website @ http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/wineblognew.asp or you can go to WinePress.us @ http://winepress.us/forums/index.php.

Good Luck.

Salute! :mug:

So here is what I have done. I had about 1.5 gallons of cherry wine fermenting. I checked it and it was at 1.008 SG, so I racked it off the must, and split it between two gallon jugs. I used 3 qts for my port, and using the Pearson Square, it told me I needed to use 15 oz. of 151 Everclear to fortify the wine. I added the Everclear to the wine, and put an airlock on it, and wrapped it in a towel to keep it dark. I will rack it off the sediment in a few weeks, and continue to do so until it has no more lees, then I will bottle it. It sure tasted good prior to adding the Everclear. I just hope it turns out tasty in the end.

I also have a black raspberry wine fermenting. I am planning to draw off 3 qts and fortify ti also.

Latest posts

Back