Love Controllers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would a love controller act as the ssr?

The Love controller has a built-in 16 amp relay whereas the PID requires an external relay or SSR to function.

I'm with you, I prefer the PID/SSR combo but it does cost more and is slightly more complicated to configure. Either setup is a good choice depending on your needs and available funds. ;)

Lamar, you seem like the bloke to ask about this, since you ooze knowledge of temperature controller electronic doodads!

Regarding ye olde Love Controllers, is the $45 version is any less effective than the $65 flavour for the purposes of controlling the ASCO valves on a Brutus?

The Love controller has a built-in 16 amp relay whereas the PID requires an external relay or SSR to function.

actually this is not so, I have a Aubrens pid and it has a 10amp relay built in for 45 and came with a k thermocouple as well. Granted I also have a 60amp ssr I got off ebay for $5 for use with the element I will be installing.

One thing that was not noted is that you also need to get a heat sink for your ssr when running it with that much power.

actually this is not so, I have a Aubrens pid and it has a 10amp relay built in for 45

The PID linked above does NOT have a built-in relay (SSR only) and you can't even run a 1500 watt 120v element with a 10 amp relay. ;)

My point is - for brewing applications, a PID is useless without an high amperage external SSR/relay and a temp sensor.

Lamar, you seem like the bloke to ask about this, since you ooze knowledge of temperature controller electronic doodads!

Regarding ye olde Love Controllers, is the $45 version is any less effective than the $65 flavour for the purposes of controlling the ASCO valves on a Brutus?

The $65 controller is the older TS series and includes a temp probe. The $45 controller is the newer TS2 series and I don't believe it includes a temp probe. Also, the one you linked to requires 240v.

See the TS2 series for more information.

The Series TS2 Digital Temperature Switches are designed to operate with PTC (1000Ω @ 25°C) probes sold separately.

The Series TS includes a thermistor with 5 ft (1.5 m) cable, fitting clips for panel mounting, gasket, rear terminal cover, and instruction manual.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I am setting up an electric control panel to run one 220v 3500w heating element and one 220v 4500w heating element.

It looks like the TS-series Love controllers are my best bet for $ and simplicity.

Agreed?

The $65 controller is the older TS series and includes a temp probe. The $45 controller is the newer TS2 series and I don't believe it includes a temp probe. Also, the one you linked to requires 240v.

See the TS2 series for more information.
*smacks forehead*

Doh! Ah yes. Reading the actual info on the manufacturer's site. You'd think I'd have thought of that!!

(Cheers, Lamar!)

Back