hard lemonade kit (basically a flavored wine kit) questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
i got one of those vinoka hard lemonade kits. i am posting here in the wine section because the ingredients are basically a bag of grape juice, some yeast and then some lemon flavoring(plus a bunch of chemicals that i dont know how to use.

these are the directions
directions1.gif

directions2.gif

my questions are, can i skip secondary fermenting like i do with my beer and just wait till it ferments to the desired .996?

after that, i do numbers 12-17.

section d has me concerned.
i dont have anything to filter with.
plus, step 19 has me. i dont know what liquid invert sugar is or where to get it, would my lhbs have it?

it also says i can use dextrose in the (you provide) section of the instructions.

i can do the rest because i currently keg my ber so this is no problem, but i am concerned about filtration and this liquid invert sugar.

since you are going to be aging more than a month (probably 6 - 12) you need to rack off the yeast into a secondary.

i dont think you really need to filter. filtering is only if your in a hurry which you shouldn't be. letting it sit in a secondary for a while will clear it. if not there are plenty of fining agents out there you could use.

according to wicki, Inverted or invert sugar syrup is a mixture of glucose and fructose. It is obtained by splitting sucrose into its two components. chances are you can buy it somewhere.

ok, i'll let it sit for a while then rack to a secondary for a while. while doing that i'll try to find the sugar somewhere online

keep it in the primary for no longer than a 4-6 weeks. any longer and you risk autolysis. rack every 3ish months till its clear adding a campden tablet each time.

thanks for the tip. its been in the primary for 10 days so i know i have some time before i do anything.

also, does light affect this like it would affect beer? its in an ale pail for now, but i was thinking of racking to a BB to watch the clarity. should i keep it in the dark?

really you only need to keep it out of UV light. but its not a bad idea to treat it like beer in the respect.

Real quick from my understanding of invert sugar, it is nothing more than 2/1 sugar water. Heat 1 cup water/ add 2 cups sugar and stir till dissolved. You now have invert sugar. ~enjoy....

Back