It's probably going to be fine but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewbro

Reaction score
I put down my second brew last night. A Stout from a tin. Smelled pretty amazing going into the fermenter.

I made sure everything was sterile etc. I used a kilo of regular white sugar. Gave it a taste and took a SG reading before pitching the yeast.

Tasted right and SG was 1060 (is this high?). Less than 24 hours on it's already 1030. But still tastes like it's got a while to go. Should I be worried??

ALso, by my maths by the time the brew reaches an SG of 1006, it'll be 7.7% ABV. Maybe my hydrometer is lying to me?

haha. Maths.

Anyhow, you'll hopefully not get down to 1.006 from 1.060. For a stout, I'd hope for more like 1.012, and you'll get a little less alcohol but much more body.

I would leave it. Don't taste it for another week or so. Resist your urges to mess with it. It will be fine.

haha. Maths.

Anyhow, you'll hopefully not get down to 1.006 from 1.060. For a stout, I'd hope for more like 1.012, and you'll get a little less alcohol but much more body.

I would leave it. Don't taste it for another week or so. Resist your urges to mess with it. It will be fine.

Yeah, Maths... I'm a total geek hahaha.

Solid, I'll leave at least a week before I take another reading and taste the sample. It's already tasting better than the draught I put down for my first batch.

What kind of kit?

Kg of tin?

What do the instructions say for OG and SG?

Just curious is all lol.

:mug:

-Nick

Oh, so sorry. I'm an Australian. It's a Coopers Stout, just a tinned (canned?) wort that you add a Kilogram (kg) or sugar to.

Doesn't really say in the kit about OG and FG. Might have been on the packaging that I threw away :confused:

Oh, so sorry. I'm an Australian. It's a Coopers Stout, just a tinned (canned?) wort that you add a Kilogram (kg) or sugar to.

Doesn't really say in the kit about OG and FG. Might have been on the packaging that I threw away :confused:

Yea I meant tinned:). Usually on the top of the tin there is a little booklet that has the info on what to do.(albeit not the greatest instructions.) It is usually under the plastic cap with the yeast. It will have the OG and SG.

If you want to really improve the beer you make start doing extract boils. Look at recipes on here and buy unhopped malt extract and hops. Even partial boils will be much better then anything from a tin.

If you have any questions about it you can pm me.

Extract boils will take a little longer but the work is well worth the reward.:ban:

:mug:

-Nick

Ok, just had a look in to see how the stout is going. I've not heard of or seen this before but my stout has bubbled all the way through my airlock.

There's a bunch of foam and brew etc bubbling through. Smells ok.

2 things

Is it infected?

also, is there hope of saving the brew?

Don't worry it isn't infected. It is certainly salvageable and most likely delicious.

People often hookup blow-off tubes for this reason. You could either hook one up now, or just cleanup your airlock and re-sanitize and hope it doesn't happen any more. This happens often on higher gravity beers or beers with a decent amount of wheat in them. I usually always start with a blow-off tube and then switch to airlock when things calm down. Google or search this forum for examples and instructions if thats the route you are going to take.

Damn right it's going to be fine... I'm drinking one right now, the only thing I did was 1 kg of dextrose, and changed to a partial grain with a steeping of chocolate malt. It is very nice (hic!). My only suggestion is to use a full 250 mL of priming sugar rather than the 170 mL or so that is suggested around these parts; I found that the stout was rather flat.

Off topic... I'd love to win the lottery and fly down to the Cooper's Brewery for a tour.

Back