A simple barleywine thought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
what do you think about this? A barleywine with only 2-row and honey malt and Cascade hops. I'm thinking a very light, sweet, fruity barleywine that reminds of straight mead. Any good?

"very light" isn't a term I'd even associated with BW. Sounds more like a strong Pale than a barleywine, which are very complex beers.

I don't think complex needs to mean it has a kitchen-sink ingredients list. I've seen traditional English barleywine recipes that are 100% pale malt and from my SMaSH experiences those beers are amazing.

That said I don't think I'd use straight 2-row as it doesn't have much character (maybe add some Victory or biscuit malt to add some depth). You'd want to be careful with the amount of honey malt you use as well, that stuff can become overpowering very quickly.

I woke up this morning thinking I should add Munich to give a malty bump to this thing in place of a little of the 2-row.

As for honey malt quantity, I'm not sure. I am going to brew a 2-row and honey malt beer as one of my "grain school" batches, so I suppose I should wait to see how that turns out before devoting several months to an overpowered beer that I won't like.

I woke up this morning thinking I should add Munich to give a malty bump to this thing in place of a little of the 2-row.

As for honey malt quantity, I'm not sure. I am going to brew a 2-row and honey malt beer as one of my "grain school" batches, so I suppose I should wait to see how that turns out before devoting several months to an overpowered beer that I won't like.
The munich would be really tasty! And good plan on the honey malt, if you decide you like the flavour early on in the brewing phase of that 'grain school' beer you could even decide to use it as a 5 gallon starter. ;)

Back