Kettle with/without Spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelsongg

Reaction score
Income tax is back! Time to buy my starter kit.
I've decided to buy a 7.5 gallon kettle from Midwest. Do I have them drill the hole(s) for a spigot (and maybe a temp gauge)? Do the benefits out weigh the cost? And is it something I'm going to wish I had further down the road?

Greg

nelsongg said:
Income tax is back! Time to buy my starter kit.
I've decided to buy a 7.5 gallon kettle from Midwest. Do I have them drill the hole(s) for a spigot (and maybe a temp gauge)? Do the benefits out weigh the cost? And is it something I'm going to wish I had further down the road?

Greg
I've done more than a few batches and never messed with a spigot. I'd suggest you focus on your brewing technique and recipes and then move on to the "frills".

Also a 7.5 gallon is just big enough for a 5 gallon extract batch so once you go all grain you will out grow it. It may be better to put the money towards a keggle right from the start.

nelsongg said:
How large of a pot do I need for all grain?
7.5 gallons is plenty big enough.

Figure you'll be starting with 6.5 - 7 gallon pre-boil volumes. Just be mindful that boil overs do occur and you need to be present to adjust the heat accordingly.

Latest posts

Back