bottling alt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbh

Reaction score
ok looking for some cheap ideas for the mead, since blew all the funds on the beer making and don't want to spend on wine bottles, corks, corker, etc. I have a batch of JAOM sitting in the cabinet burping away, and need a place to store it when the time is up.
Have a whole lot of canning jars left over. how good does the seal have to be on this? Would a screw top lid work(I assume the heat and pressure from the canning process causes the gasket in them to seal better). I know light may be an issue, I could keep it in a dark pantry. I know I should spend the big bucks, but it is hard to justify for a 1 gallon batch. Thanks

Im gonna use swing top bottles... like grolsch or fischer ones. Easy to get ahold of, relatively inexpensive (consider you will not have to cap/cork and will only have to change gaskets every ~5 uses)... and they are resealable. I don't know if many people will pound down 16oz of mead all at one sitting, but I can see 4-8oz. You can reseal the bottle, toss it in the fridge, and save it for another day.

On the pricey side are these cool flasks... a bit $$, but they would be AWESOME! The 500ml bottles are roughly ~17ounces

http://www.ebottles.com/showbottles.asp?familyid=1315

Anyways, I may get a couple of these to put labels on and save for a few years. It'll be like my private mead reserve that I can crack into 5yrs from now. The price does drop considerably if you get quantity. I'd be willing to split the 30ea for $105+sh and ship 15 of them out to you. That would be good for just under 2 gallons worth each.

Back