Too warm vs fluctuating temps lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlutter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Which is worse? I have a vienna lager fermented at 54F. Moved it to my outdoor insulated storage. Beer temp was 34-40 for 1 week, then we hit a warm spell. Beer temp was 44-50 for 4-7 days(I am unsure bc I was gone during most of that time.) Upon return I moved it to my crawl space which will be the same as outdoor temps. 10 day forcast is 39-41 for highs & 31-35 for lows. I would like to get ar least one more week of lagering. Also I have a Czech Pilsner to transfer from primary this weekend. It was also fermented at 54. I dont want to go the ice bath and blanket route as i would need to buy a tub/tubs and ice (maybe next time). These are my first two lagers.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I have kept the beers in my crawl space and they seem to stay steady at about 44 degrees. Mostlly I am just curious in case I get this situation again. Thanks

If you lager at higher temps, your beer will "finish" faster but probably not be as clean as if you go colder and longer. Personally, I am not a huge fan of big temperature swings in beers, especially those which are supposed to be clean, so I think I'd rather keep it at a bit higher temp that was more consistent.

Back