Check Out Our New Welds!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm really proud of our new welds. We've been honing down on them for about a year now and I think it we're almost perfect. Fully sanitary welded to AWS Standard D18.2.

Outside Weld:

OutsideWeld_zps8892c3e5.jpg

Inside Weld:

IMG_1971_zps66fe6519.jpg

IMG_1966_zpsf0a51733.jpg

-Ben

Been welding a few years and those look pretty darn good. Did you passivate them after the welding was completed or is the customer going to be responsible for that? I would do in house to eliminate any possible issues later on from the customer doing it improperly or incompletely. Just makes sense if your gonna lay down art to finish it so there are no possible complaints later. Tig'n stainless to the AWS standard isn't as easy as most folks think, but once you get it down to a procedure it goes great and pretty quick too. Keep up the good work guys...
Wheelchair Bob

Thanks Bob! We don't passivate for the following reasons:

-Our shop only handles stainless steel so there's no risk of carbon contamination
-You can also see the back side has little to no heat tint so passivation isn't required
-The harsh chemicals required are also another reason we do not passivate

When making this decision a while ago I found this thread to be helpful: Article Link

Back