peculiar looking sediment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benedetto

Reaction score
I'm making a clone of the Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA (recipe from the guy's book) and I used Ringwood 1187 yeast. This is the first time I needed to make a yeast starter. I got it sitting with the dry hops in secondary right now and I'm seeing something I've never seen before. The layer of sediment on the bottom of the carboy is about 3x taller than usual, and two distinctly different colors. The bottom layer is dark and looks completely typical. The top layer is much lighter and twice as large as the bottom layer.

Any ideas what's going on? I'm hoping it's just surplus healthy yeast from the starter I made.

Fermentation is ugly, and stinky and strange looking even when it is "normal." Unless there is an actual pellicule growing on top of your beer...not, yeast, or mold or an oil slick or anything else besides a thick skin on top, then there's nothing wrong with our fermentations. It doesn't matter how your trub looks, it doesn't matter what your krausen looks like for that matter, everything is fine.

Benedetto said:
I'm making a clone of the Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA (recipe from the guy's book) and I used Ringwood 1187 yeast. This is the first time I needed to make a yeast starter. I got it sitting with the dry hops in secondary right now and I'm seeing something I've never seen before. The layer of sediment on the bottom of the carboy is about 3x taller than usual, and two distinctly different colors. The bottom layer is dark and looks completely typical. The top layer is much lighter and twice as large as the bottom layer.

Any ideas what's going on? I'm hoping it's just surplus healthy yeast from the starter I made.

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. :)

Back