Just brewed imperial Stout. What temperature is best to ferment at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naivenavila

Reaction score
I just brewed an imperial stout and was wondering what would be the best temperature to ferment at. most reading I've done says around 60 degrees but I don't really have the capability to do that unless i put it in ice bath. any thoughts?

My OG was 1.10 and i used California Ale Yeast WLP001

Thanks,

60F is about right. what's your room temperature and where do you live? you likely can't sustain an ice bath for the duration of fermentation, and it'd probably be too cold for a stout anyways.

60-65F is ideal with that yeast. If you can place the primary in a water bath and swap out ice bottles you can do a pretty good job of maintaining that temperature. Ideally the first week is the most important, after that you can skip the ice and leave it in the water to allow a slight free rise and hold there.

I live in Menifee, ca. It's still pretty warm out here. Ice bath seems like my only option. It will be work but I've gotta do it. Thanks guys this helps.

I fermented my RIS in the 60's. One day it made the room temp in the 70's. I brought it in the basement where it was about 62 and left it there. For a month. No off flavors from that one day it fermented a but warm. Love my RIS's!

Back