Official Denver CMC Group Buy #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musketear

Reaction score
Here's the deal, the Google Doc is up at the following link:

Sign-up Sheet for CMC Group Buy #6

Please add the appropriate information (columns A-F) to the document if you wish to be a part of this buy. The vital information from the first post, if you are to lazy to click back is as follows:

Colorado Malting Company Website.

Since Dahoov ordered a ton of grain last time, I have offered to take over planning the logistics for group grain buy #6. The info is mostly the same as last time, but here is the basic run-down:

The price break is at 1000 lbs. No further breaks are available. As an FYI the 5000 lb break is for commercial operations.

The price for all malted barley is 75 cents per lb or $37.50 per 50 lb sack.

The price for all malted wheat is 85 cents per lb or $42.50 per 50 lb sack.

Shipping is a flat $150 to the Denver Metro area (to be split by the total number of bags ordered).

I live in Boulder, but Dahoov has offered to host the delivery at his place again. This will allow for people to pick up their grain at their leisure. He works from home so scheduling pick up times should be easy.

After discussion about payment we agreed that it made more sense for one person to collect payment and give them one check. I am willing to collect the money and write the check. We can also open an escrow account but I don't know if there is a fee for this or how the logistics work. Suggestions how to handle payment are welcome.

A mid to late June delivery will give us plenty of time to get everything in order.

If people don't want a full sack, we can split them up for people at the house but we will need to make sure the orders total 50 lbs. The last of the grain that doesn't total 50 lbs will be dropped from the order.

Jason indicated they can do a special Belgian style malt in the 3-4 Lovibond range if there is enough interest. They malt in batches of 4000lbs but he said if we can come up with greater than 500 lbs he is confident he can sell the rest.

Originally Posted by Jason At CMC:

The Belgian Style Pale malt is similar to our standard Colorado Base Pale malt which is 2.0 - 2.5 L but the "Belgian Style" is 3.0 - 4.0 L which is slightly darker and a slight kiln modification is necessary to achieve the darker color in stage 2 and 3 of the kiln schedule.[/QUOTE]

I would like to get in for some grain, but I would not be able to make the trek down to Denver until the second weekend of July. Would that be a problem if Dahoov would have to hold onto 100-150 lbs of grain until then? I am about 2+ hours south west of Denver, so it is not cost effective for me to make a special trip just to pick up grain.

And could I make payment by paypal or mail in a check?

How about Marris Otter?

I would like to get in for some grain, but I would not be able to make the trek down to Denver until the second weekend of July. Would that be a problem if Dahoov would have to hold onto 100-150 lbs of grain until then? I am about 2+ hours south west of Denver, so it is not cost effective for me to make a special trip just to pick up grain.

And could I make payment by paypal or mail in a check?

How about Marris Otter?

Well, that is entirely up to Dahoov. Your best bet would be to PM him and ask if he minds keeping it around for 3 or 4 weeks.

Payment by PayPal or check should be fine. I still have yet to work out the fine details on the best way to do that.

Marris Otter is made by a separate maltster. We are ordering from a Colorado maltser, not a distributor.

Come on people!?!? really? only 2100 pounds? Musketear went too all the work to set it up lets buy some grain!

Well I just found this thread. I have not been checking HBT much recently since I have been busy getting ready for summer glider flying. I NEED TO GO FLYING....BAD....REAL BAD.

I added a 100 lbs to the list. It may turn into more depending what my brew partner decides on.

As far as keeping grain stored for an extended time that will cost you some home brew. I prefer Blondes and Redheads, put I could be appeased with a Dirty Blonde. I figure 1 bottle per week is fair :D

I guess I better clean up the garage for the delivery.

Beer good...

So, Jason says that they need a 2-3 week lead time for orders. We were aiming for a mid June delivery, so we are officially putting a deadline on this.

Everyone has through 5:00 pm on Memorial Day (Monday the 28th) to make or change their orders.

After that, I will submit the order with Jason and payment will be collected. Lets get to it, I was hoping we would have more than 2400 pounds!

PS - I will be kayaking the Grand Canyon, so unavailable after Tuesday. If you have any questions, feel free to ask before then. I will send out payment information and instructions just before I head out.

Jason indicated they can do a special Belgian style malt in the 3-4 Lovibond range if there is enough interest. They malt in batches of 4000lbs but he said if we can come up with greater than 500 lbs he is confident he can sell the rest.

Originally Posted by Jason At CMC:

The Belgian Style Pale malt is similar to our standard Colorado Base Pale malt which is 2.0 - 2.5 L but the "Belgian Style" is 3.0 - 4.0 L which is slightly darker and a slight kiln modification is necessary to achieve the darker color in stage 2 and 3 of the kiln schedule.

I see a total of 200 lbs of the Belgian Pale. I'm interested in the 3.0 - 4.0 L special style, but I don't think we have enough demand for it here. Can you confirm that this will be the standard 2.0 - 2.5 L style?

If that's the case, I'll probably change to 50lbs of that. I just bumped the pilsner to 100 lb.

I see a total of 200 lbs of the Belgian Pale. I'm interested in the 3.0 - 4.0 L special style, but I don't think we have enough demand for it here. Can you confirm that this will be the standard 2.0 - 2.5 L style?

If that's the case, I'll probably change to 50lbs of that. I just bumped the pilsner to 100 lb.

Yes, if we do not have 500 lbs minimum, we cannot order it. I forgot to check for that, thanks for the reminder!

So, unless someone wants to order a lot more of it, people should probably take that out of their orders and adjust accordingly.

In for 250 pounds. Thanks Dahoov for letting us host this from his house again. (Esp for the out of towners because it is really easy to get to from I25)

Chromados

I don't know if the order was placed, but it is closed. Mojoe4, the email was sent out on May 30th. I see your email on it, so you should have received it. Musketear sent payment details in the email.

Sorry for the lull in communication. I just got off my 16 day kayak trip down the Grand Canyon. Great time, but back to business!

Jason has the order totals, and is ready to deliver. I will be checking off everyone who has paid and arranging the delivery (probably for late this week, Dahoov's schedule depending) over the next couple days. I have over 400 new emails, so it will take a bit, but I will try to get back to everyone asap!

Musketear said:
Sorry for the lull in communication. I just got off my 16 day kayak trip down the Grand Canyon. Great time, but back to business!

Jason has the order totals, and is ready to deliver. I will be checking off everyone who has paid and arranging the delivery (probably for late this week, Dahoov's schedule depending) over the next couple days. I have over 400 new emails, so it will take a bit, but I will try to get back to everyone asap!

Thanks for the update

Emailed to me by Jason:
Wayne, my dad, and owner of the malt company was in a bad accident on
Saturday. He is in bad shape at ICU in Denver.

This is slowing us down big time...how's your schedule look. When are u
guys needing the grain by? We don't to inconvenience you all

Originally I was hoping for a delivery this Friday, but I told Jason not to worry about it and that a Monday delivery would be fine. So, unless things take a turn for the worse, we will have a late Monday delivery!

The truck arrived yesterday at about 3:30 and was unloaded by about 3:35. These guys chucked those sacks like they were filled with feathers.

Wayne is doing well enough to be asking for beer, so that is great news considering how serious his injuries were.

Let me know when you will be by to pick up your sacks. Mobile number is seven two zero nine eight nine seven seven seven five.

IMG_20120626_154955.jpg

Thanks again for everyone helping to make this another successful group buy, and a big thanks to Dahoov for taking delivery!

Lets help him out and get it out of his garage asap!

Thanks for putting this together!

Now it's time to put the finishing touches on my pasta mill.

Super thanks to Musketear for putting this together and to Dahoov for the receiving the delivery! Also great to meet another brewer today!!!

If anyone doesn't pick up their grain or wants to give up or share what they bought I'd love to get some 2 row and/or something comparable to Maris Otter. Thanks

I tore right through this, should have bought 200lb's. Maybe 300. :)

And, all the beers turned out great. Can't wait for the next one.

I tore right through this, should have bought 200lb's. Maybe 300. :)

And, all the beers turned out great. Can't wait for the next one.

Yea... Not only am making a ton of beer, but I just started distilling (for fuel, of course). Making a 10 gallon wash takes a lot of grain. I will probably be ready for a new buy soon!

I just noticed these group buys have been going on... mind is blown that I've been missing out. I would be in for at least 200 pounds on the next one.

I will be in for another 100 lbs. Hopefully Dahoov is involved again. Sampling his beers was the high point of the experience for me. That guy knows what he is doing.

Just got a response from Colorado Malting:

"Thanks, Chris, for contacting Colorado Malting Company!
Another group buy sounds great!! Thanks for keeping it All Colorado!
I'm Tim Cody, and I will be handling all the homebrewer contacts for Jason.

Our new Fall pricing:
The price for all bulk malted barley is 89 cents per lb or $44.50 per 50 lb sack.
The price for all bulk malted wheat is 95 cents per lb or $47.50 per 50 lb sack.
Delivery truck with liftgate to Denver: $250

What time frame are you guys looking at?"

Latest posts

Back