Crohns disease

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBeer44

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with this disease. I was recently diagnosed and I'm trying to find examples of people successfully managing their symptoms.

A high school buddy of mine has it and he seems to successfully manage it. Although he stopped drinking due to the disease. It does flair up from time to time though.

So it is manageable. Good Luck!!

A good buddy of mine doesn't have Crohn's, but he does have Ulcerative Colitis. He's managed it fairly well for about a decade.

Get a good gastroenterologist and I'm sure you'll get some good advice. One of the things about crohn's vs UC is that with crohn's the inflamed section of the intestine can be surgically removed. It doesn't cure the disease and it's obviously an invasive procedure, but it might be an option to think about.

Also, I think that diseases like crohn's and UC are autoimmune related, so if I were you I'd talk to the doctor about any related issues you might needto watch out for.

You should look into a local support group that you can share information with and get some solid advice from.

My sister has it. She is on a ton of meds and a somewhat limited diet. If you see her running, MOVE!! They have tried everything and it is just barely managed. Real shame. Hope you can control yours! Seems like a real lousy disease to have.

I'll agree with the above advice of a good gastroenterologist and a support group. Also, I've seen a lot of successful treatment with Remicade. Best of luck to you.

I was just diagnosed a week ago. So far the doctors say I have a mild case, time will tell. Makes me have a completely different outlook on stem cells. Anything to keep my kids from getting this I am all fair now.

My brother in law has it. Diet will need to change. Poor guy can't drink beer, I have to brew him ciders.

I know this is an old post, wondering how any Crohn's sufferers were making out. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease 2 years ago now. I have not given up beer drinking as I love craft brew and homebrew. I have not noticed significant effects of beer drinking. At the age of 20 I was told I had some form of TB (was in the military at the time, so God knows). I was on pills that didn't allow drinking (didn't follow that either), Now are 30 I have Crohn's, so again, I tempt fate and continue drinking. So far beer has not affected me, so I continue to enjoy the libations. I am not an alcoholic but beer is an integral part of my life. I hope that all can enjoy it. Would love to hear about others w/ crohns and see how you're making out. Hope all are well!!

Back