1st batch redux

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toronado13

Reaction score
I tasted my second hefe this past weekend... I decided to do the same exact hefe I did for my first ever extract batch again, and modify my procedure and use a liquid yeast. It was a Brewers Best Weizenbier kit.

Overall, I am a little disappointed. The color came out much better though, so my late extract addition and taking the pot off the heat while adding extract worked out perfectly. However, the beer has some extra flavors in it. I am not well versed enough to describe it well, but I can only imagine that it is more estery? Also, the retention of head seems to suck too compared to my 1st batch. I'm going to give the bottles another week or two to see if it improves.

My 2nd batch fermented at a little bit higher temp, I'd say 70-71 rather than the 67-68 degrees a few months ago with my 1st batch. Do you think this temp difference might be causing both issues?

1st batch on left, 2nd on right.

compare.jpg

Bottle conditioned? How long since you bottled? Fermentation temps will have a big influence on flavor, as will yeast strain. What yeast did you use?

The 1st batch is about 2 month old, maybe 3. The 2nd batch has been in the bottle for about 3 weeks now. 1st batch was the dry yeast from the kit, danstar munich... the second batch was a white labs hefe (WLP300).

WLP300 has more esters than the munich, plus the higher fermentation temp will produce even more esters. different yeast do factor into head retention, but its relatively minor compared to the rest of the recipe, hopefully some extra time fixes that

Back