Turbid mash: Wild Brews vs. Liddil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideshow_ben

Reaction score
Hi all. I have found two different schedules for doing a turbid mash. One is from _Wild Brews_ and the other from Liddil's Lambic Lesson based on the Cantillon brewery. Does anyone have a preference or find that one works better?

The differences are subtle but the ones that stick out to me are (a) Wild Brews has a 15-min rest at 126F and Liddil has a 10-min rest at 136F following the initial 113F dough in; (b) Wild Brews holds turbid wort at 190F while Liddil holds it at 176F.

From Wild Brews:
Dough in with 1 gal at 113F for 15 min.
Add boiling water to reach 126F for 15 min.
Remove 1/3 of liquid; Heat to 190F in small kettle and hold.
Add boiling water to raise mash to 149F for 45 min.
Remove 1/2 of liquid (about 1 gallon). Add to small kettle at 190F.
Add 1.5 gal of boiling water to raise mash to 162F for 30 min.
Remove most of the mash liquid (about 2 gal) to boil kettle and heat.
Add small kettle back to MLT to raise grain to 172F for 20 min.
Vorlauf and sparge with 190F water until gravity hits 1008.

From Liddle Lambic Lesson, using the Cantillon schedule
Dough in with 1 gallon at 113F for 10 min.
Add boiling water to reach 136F for 10 min.
Draw off 1 quart to small kettle, heat to 176F
Add boiling water to reach 150F for 30 min.
Draw off 1 gallon to small kettle at 176F
Add boiling water to reach 162F for 20 min.
Draw off all mash liquid to boil kettle and heat to boil
Add small kettle wort back in to raise grain to 167F for 20 min.
Sparge with 185F water until gravity hits 1008.

190 is probably a safer temp to hold the turbid portion to prevent conversion (I've heard conflicting things about how long amylase remains active at higher temps). Otherwise the differences in protein/sacch rest times/temps aren't that important. I really liked the results I got with the Liddil so you can go if that sways you.

Here are some pictures of my turbid mashing: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2009/08/lambic-3-turbid-mash.html

Thanks! I've actually been using your pages extensively, and love the pictoral, but got additionally confused since it looked like you didn't drain the tun before starting the sparge, as the other two references suggested.

I did the sparge as I usually do fly (let it drain until I see the grainbed, then start adding water).

That seems to be what Liddil suggests: "7.) After 20 minutes the wort in kettle #1 is recirculated to clarify it and the sparging with 185 F (85 C) water is begun. Sparge until run off gravity has dropped to less than 1.008 and boil it with the previous run off from kettle #1."

Did I miss something?

Well I broke my arm stirring on the first step, but got 81% efficiency in the end, so I must have done something well. Let's see next year how it worked. Thanks for the advice!

What a trooper finishing the mash with a broken arm... hope it turns out well.

Back