• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to trade smoker for brewing equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty3777

Reaction score
I have a 24" modified Horizon off-set smoker on a trailer that I would like to trade for brewing equipment. Here is a link to a video taken of the smoker hours after I bought it in 2008.

I have used this smoker for competition BBQ cooking for two years. In that time I beat Myron Mixon in a whole hog comp and have received awards in all four KCBS categories cooking on this pit. I now have three smokers and one has to go.

Retail this sells for a little over $4000. I'm willing to trade for equipment valued at around $3000 (conical fermenters, draft systems, brewing sculptures, whatever...) obo. It would be best if you were within driving distance from Eastern Iowa. I would also be open to a cash deal, but I don't want to push the limits of this forum.

I have made several modifications that have improved the performance of the pit.

1. I have removed the LP log lighting system. These things are dangerous and I have seen the effects of accidents caused by them. Not pretty!

2. I have moved the smoke stack so that it is at grate level (think Jambo pits) Now I can have the same temps throughout the length of the cooking chamber.

3. I removed the log box to make room for the smokestack modification. I still have the box and you are welcome to have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it may be bigger than a WSM, but it would hardly kick its butt. I won first place in chicken at the Illinois State BBQ Championship at Shannon, IL last year on a WSM. Those things rule!!

not saying my WSM is not a good smoker(got the 22 model), but that I can do 6 racks or 3 rack and a bird, but that thing can feed a small country.

No doubt in my mind that the WSM is, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the best smoker on the Market. I have my Horizon, a WSM and an FEC 100 and if I could only have one it would be the WSM

Back