force carbing 2 kegs??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So I got a second keg for the forth of july so I could have my belgian wit and apfelwein on tap, I started carbing the apfelwein with set it and forget it about a week and a half ago and just got the wit in the second keg to start carbing using shaking. My question is since I only have a single gas line hooked up to one at a time do I need to worry about one keg loosing some of it carbonation while it is sitting off the gas?? Sorry if this is a dumb question but it seems like my apfelwein is a little lower on carbonation than now than when I hooked up to the wit. Also is there an easy way to serve both kegs without haveing to connect and disconnect the gas line each time, with out buying another regulator??

As long as you keep the pressure in the keg you can disconnect the gas line and have no worries about your beer losing carbonation. If you draw a few pints or purge the excess gas, then yes, over time the beer will lose some carbonation. But it won't be instantaneous or anything. Also, don't confuse carbonation of the beer with serving pressure. If you're pouring pints from a keg that isn't hooked up to gas it will still pour for a bit, but it will begin to diminish soon as the pressure is released to pour those drinks, making it appear as if you don't have enough carbonation.

The best way to serve two kegs with a single gas line is to get a "tee" to split the line into two outlets. A barbed brass tee with the right diameter will do the job for maybe just a few bucks. Otherwise you could step up to a manifold or distributor, but if you're looking for something quick and cheap for next weekend a simple tee is your best bet.

As long as all your O rings are getting a good seal, you wont lose any carbonation when the gas is disconnected. Check your seals with soapy water for slow leaks, and if there are none you're good.

Also, +1 to the brass air T or a manifold. If you have 2 kegs now....you're going to want 4, then 6 then 8!!! Having a selection of beers on tap at any time is a good thing

Back