Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbodkin

Reaction score
Ok ... so I have been waiting a while to try this beer ... so today I found a pub with a few cans ... Don't get me wrong it was a GREAT stout, nice taste and mouth feel ... However ... Chocolate, I got NOTHING ... Very very disapointed in that part ... It was not much more then a Guiness Clone.

I have had Harpoons New Chocolate Stout before and was ready to compare it to that ... Not even close ... If you want Chocolate ... Try the Harppon!

JMHO :drunk:

Hmmm, strange. I tasted plenty of chocolate from that brew. I haven't had it in a while, so I may be remembering it wrong. Either way, I'd recommend the Rogue Chocolate Stout over Young's any day. I haven't had the Harpoon, maybe I should try to find it.

EDIT: I forget to mention it, but I agree with Yuri. Young doesn't taste anything like Guiness, besides the fact that they're both stouts.

When I first tried Youngs a couple of years ago I didn't have the palate to really understand that beer. I didn't taste an overwhelming chocolate flavor and I found a pile of similarities between Youngs DoubChoc and Guiness. However, now I have a MUCH better appreciation for Youngs, oddly the Guiness tastes about the same :D. Youngs is a different beer and to my taste is quite wonderful. It has a very rich chocolate flavor and a sweetness that is in a whole different category than a dry stout like Guiness. :mug:

I get none of the Chocolate Malt character from a Guiness at all. More like Roasted, Black, or Special B. The Younges however, had more Chocolate character than did Samuel Adams chocolate Bock which is supposed to be aged on actual nibs. With that I got neither chocolate malt nor actual chocolate character.

Personally, I'll take a Younges Tall Boy over a Guiness or SA Bock anyday.

JMHO ;)

I thought Youngs was like a chocolate beer milkshake. I liked it a lot, but only a glass at a time. It would be too overwhelming. Haven't had Stone's yet. And Guinness just tastes watery and weak to me.

Stone's 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Stout is really nice. One of my top picks for a stout. It's one of the only beers I have purchased a case of.

I feel thirsty...

Stone's 12th is great. I also highly recommend Brooklyn's Chocolate Stout. Great price for a Russian imperial stout, and tastes fantastic.

I recently had youngs double chocolate stout on nitro... It was great!! Tasted very different from the bottle, In which i'm used to. :mug:

Back