DIPA Hop additions/schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 108580

Reaction score
Thoughts on these hop additions/schedule:

2 oz. Columbus (60 min)
2 oz. Citra (30 min)
0.5 oz. Amarillo (15 min)
0.5 oz. Cascade (15 min)
0.5 oz. Amarillo (5 min)
0.5 oz. Cascade (5 min)
1 oz. Amarillo (dry hop)
1 oz. Cascade (dry hop)

Cheers:mug:

have to know hop alphas and malt adds to make that call. columbus can be 12%, and my last was 17.9%. an ibu of 45 is ok with 6.5%, but not quite so right with a 9%

have to know hop alphas and malt adds to make that call. columbus can be 12%, and my last was 17.9%. an ibu of 45 is ok with 6.5%, but not quite so right with a 9%

Sorry, heres all the info

10 gallon batch (11 total)

30 lb American 2-row
2 lb crystal 40
2 lb Toasted Pale malt

I havent actually bought any of the ingredients yet but this is what BeerTools has for me:
Columbus 15%
Citra 12%
Amarillo 8.5%
Cascade 5.5%

I also plan on putting a vodka zest mix in the keg while finishing of orange, lemon, and grapefruit zests to add to the aromas.

what time is the beer being served? :D i wouldn't add all that extra stuff first time. try it, then improvise

lol 4 weeks from when our brew stand is finished being welded :rockin:. We're not going to go too overboard with the zest... a tiny amount at first then improve from there.

get rid fo the 30 min addition as all the goodness gets boiled off. save those precious citra for more flavor and aroma towards the end of the boil. from this recipe it looks like you need waaaaayyyy more hops during the final 15 minutes. I just made a DIPA in a 2.5 gallon batch and I had bigger additions. I would think 2 oz of each hop at 15 and zero would be a good number. I don't brew 10 gallon batches so I'm not quite sure but you definitely need to move that 30 min addition to later and add more hops to the bill.

get rid fo the 30 min addition as all the goodness gets boiled off. save those precious citra for more flavor and aroma towards the end of the boil. from this recipe it looks like you need waaaaayyyy more hops during the final 15 minutes. I just made a DIPA in a 2.5 gallon batch and I had bigger additions. I would think 2 oz of each hop at 15 and zero would be a good number. I don't brew 10 gallon batches so I'm not quite sure but you definitely need to move that 30 min addition to later and add more hops to the bill.

Cool thanks.

Yeah I'll up the hops at 15, 5, and flameout. As is I think my IBU's were hovering around 80 so I'll just mod everything to get more flavors and aromas out of that bad boy

Honestly for my taste big adds of high alphas at 60min tend to be overly bitter and strip the taste buds. I like to do FWH for the flavor and bittering and then do a hop burst in the last 15min to really boost the hops. Especially for a IIPA. Hitting high IBUs just to have bitterness and reach the guidelines is pointless to me in a beer where you really want all the hops to shine. I would also up your dry hop by at least .5 each for bigger aroma. Lastly using Citra at 30min is kind of a waste. Use it in the last 15min or as the FWH.

Pliny is considered one of the best IIPAs out there. The clone recipe is all over the net so check out there schedule.

Honestly for my taste big adds of high alphas at 60min tend to be overly bitter and strip the taste buds.

Pliny is considered one of the best IIPAs out there. The clone recipe is all over the net so check out there schedule.

While I totally agree with you, Pliny also bitters with 3.50 oz. hops for a 5 gallon batch.

Boy said:
Honestly for my taste big adds of high alphas at 60min tend to be overly bitter and strip the taste buds. I like to do FWH for the flavor and bittering and then do a hop burst in the last 15min to really boost the hops. Especially for a IIPA. Hitting high IBUs just to have bitterness and reach the guidelines is pointless to me in a beer where you really want all the hops to shine. I would also up your dry hop by at least .5 each for bigger aroma. Lastly using Citra at 30min is kind of a waste. Use it in the last 15min or as the FWH.

Sorry, FWH?

So the generalization I'm getting is to use an ounce or so of high alpha hops at 60 for bittering, then mega hop additions of citra, amarillo, and cascade at 15, 10, 5, and flameout?

Are these hops pretty suitable for a good DIPA? This will be my first AG batch.

I would like to meet the style guidelines so that I can enter into homebrew competitions and not be dinged for missing the Target ibu's

First Wort Hopping. I personally don't think that it's a good choice for American IPAs which should be a little on the bitter side. You could simply reduce the bittering addition in place of FWH if you're uber-sensitive to bitter... or brew an APA. IBUs don't bother me one bit, but I'm also smart with my additions. So even though I could have 120-140 calculated IBUs, the beer ends up being rather smooth because of the amounts/placements of those hops (and the design of my grist). If you're very sensitive to bitter, but want an IPA, shoot for 20-35 IBUs from the first addition and fill in the gaps with the rest of your late additions. There's nothing wrong with using a 30 minute addition to help bring you up to par. If you're not so sensitive to bitter, shoot for 40-60 IBUs from the first addition and blast late with aroma hops.

All of those hops are suitable for an IPA. Citra tends to dominate the others, especially if it is used in the dryhop. So you'll be left with something very tropical/melony.

bobbrews said:
First Wort Hopping. I personally don't think that it's a good choice for American IPAs which should be a little on the bitter side. You could simply reduce the bittering addition in place of FWH if you're uber-sensitive to bitter... or brew an APA. IBUs don't bother me one bit, but I'm also smart with my additions. So even though I could have 120-140 calculated IBUs, the beer ends up being rather smooth because of the amounts/placements of those hops. If you're very sensitive to bitter, but want an IPA, shoot for 20-35 IBUs from the first addition and fill in the gaps with the rest of your late additions. There's nothing wrong with using a 30 minute addition to help bring you up to par. If you're not so sensitive to bitter, shoot for 40-60 IBUs from the first addition and blast late with aroma hops.

All of those hops are suitable for an IPA. Citra tends to dominate the others, especially if it is used in the dryhop. So you'll be left with something very tropical/melony.

Thanks. I'm a hop head so ibu's don't bother me. Lagunitas is right down the street from my house so hops is in my blood. Thanks for your input.

Most people consider a FWH similar to a 20min add while giving far smoother bittering but with the flavor. I build my whole recipe and then recalculate my fwh as a 20min add, see how many ibus I lose and then add more. For instance my IIPA is at 120 IBUs, but due to FWH impressions it is really around 100. You can brew a big beer with huge hops and still feel like you have taste buds. What's the point of brewing a hops show case if you can't taste all of the flavors and subtle hints?

@Boy

I see what you're saying, but really you could use a low amount of low cohumulone hops at 60, then another small charge at 30, and a ton of late additions + dryhops. Theoretically, you could attain 140+ IBUs with that schedule but it won't taste like a bitter mess since you're building up that bitterness with grace instead of blasting it in someone's face all at once, or wasting more hops at FWH to get the majority of your IBUs.

I don't want to open a thread for this, so I'll post it here. I've put my recipe into several different programs and they're all giving me wildly different IBU ratings. Can someone help me figure out which one is right?

5# Light LME
2# Light DME

12oz Belgian Base Pils
4oz Carapils

1oz Columbus (13.9%) @ 60min
1oz Cascade (6.4%) @ 10min, 5min

I used BeerSmith 2, BrewersHub (online), QBrew, and BrewR (android app). I'm getting anywhere from a 27 to a 72 across all the different ones. Which one is most accurate? Thanks guys. Sorry if this is a derail.

E: I would like it to be somewhere in the low 30s, I think - so if anyone can suggest/adjust my hop schedule for me, I'd appreciate it.

I like beer tools pro. I want say if its accurate or not but its never steered me wrong.

Back