Color me stupid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornkob

Resident Crazy Uncle
Reaction score
So I saw a recipie on this section for cider that I was going to try that was just juice and splenda. Last night the SWMBO and I went shopping and we swung by the baking aisle to grab teh stuff.

I damn near died when I saw that 10 ounces of the stuff was $8. Of course, the flaw is this: I had written down the recipie as:

Cider yeast
5 gallons Apple Juice
4 pounds Splenda

Yeah-- my quick math said that I was going to need $60 worth of Slenda alone.

I'm feeling much better about it now that I've revisited the recipe and realized that it's 4 CUPS

So the quesiton is how many of the 'bulk' bags of splenda does a guy need to get 4 cups of the stuff?

kornkob said:
So the quesiton is how many of the 'bulk' bags of splenda does a guy need to get 4 cups of the stuff?

One of the big bags from Costco or Sam's oughta do it.

I thought there was discussion as to if splenda is fermentable or not and I thought the general concensus was that it is not otherwise that looks really close to Ed's Apfelwein recipie.

SpamDog

(PS Just started my Apflewein batch.. and I love watching the bubbles.. it is mesmorizing!!)

SpamDog said:
I thought there was discussion as to if splenda is fermentable or not and I thought the general concensus was that it is not otherwise that looks really close to Ed's Apfelwein recipie.

If by 'really close' you mean that it shares 1 ingredient, yeah. : )

Ed's recipe calls for Juice, Corn sugar and wine yeast.

While I can't find the specific post, the one I read used juice, splenda and cider yeast.

I'm also planning to execute one of the Apfelwein, and am pondering Cheese's Mapfelwein varient. In fact, I might not make any beer this year after the next 2 batches (that I'm only making to clear out old ingredients before they go south).

Well I was getting at if you are adding splenda to bump up the ABV I don't think it will work.. that is what Ed uses the Corn Sugar for.. If you are trying to add fermentables then the diffrence is only the yeast.
Also I remember reading someone had added Apple Juice concentrate with Sorbate to back sweeten the Apfelwein.. Don't remember all the details tho (I have a mind like a steel trap... Rusted!) Might be something to concider.. Just apple juice doesn't have that much fermentables anyway.. only like 4ABV or so depending on brand.. Cider yeast might even make that dry too.
Let us know how it turns out.. I am always looking for new good recipes

SpamDog

Yeah-- the splenda addition was to increase sweetness. The last batch of cider I made was dry-- like an apple wine almost

Back