Too much sediment!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russb123

Reaction score
I made a sam adam's ale clone recipe, which called for dry hopping.

I just threw the hops straight in my carboy secondary and waited about 2 weeks for them all to settle to the bottom.

So that I would not get any hops into my bottling bucket I wrapped my racking cane in nylon hop bag as a strainer. It worked alright, but it kept clogging and I accidently moved my cane during the transfer which I think stirred up a bunch of the sediment.

I bottled and last night I tried my first one(after 3 weeks int he bottle)....it was awful. The taste is like someone used the beer to put out a camp fire and then squeezed the beer out of the ashes back into the bottle.

I should note that the sample bottle I tried had alot of sediment in it, I had rolled the bottle a few days ago to see how much sediment it had and it was substantial (much more than a usual carbonation deposits).

I am thinking the entire batch is ruined, but will sample a few more random bottles and see if it was just one or all.

Did I get hop particles in my beer is that was caused the bad taste?

From my first batch (only have done 2 so far), the yeast sediment tastes awful. I accidentally poured the sediment into my glass and I choked it down. When I pour smoothly and leave sediment in the bottle I don't have the awful taste. Just pour slowly since if it "glugs" it's kicking up yeast sediment.

As well, my pale ale tasted terrible for the first month in the bottles. I think it's been around month and a half or so and it's really coming into it's own. Very drinkable at this point. And hey, for all the waiting and money invested in a batch, don't chuck it out. Keep it around for a bit and the harshness may mellow as with mine. :mug:

When I poured this brew into the glass I was very careful not to get any sediment into the glass. I stopped pouring earlier than I usually do to make sure I did not get any sediment into my tasting glass.

I hope you are right that this will be drinkable.

Hop particles wouldn't cause a flavor like the one you are describing. Perhaps it could be in your process. What was your method, extract, steeping grains, partial mash, all-grain? If you used any grain and left it in the water at too high a temp, it is possible that you extracted a bunch of the roasty tannins from the grain husks, which could potentialy lead to an astrigent, maybe "burnt" tasting, off-flavor.

Also with the bottle you rolled, it will have plenty of stuff floating in it even a few days later. But anyway, with my beer, when I poured it without getting sediment it was not very good even after a month in the bottles.

Back