Crazy questions - Has anyone mixed beer before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calman

Reaction score
Two different kinds that is. I am wondering how would it come out, or how'd it taste?
And will the mix cause beer go bad from two strain of yeasts fighting?

I used the beer dispenser, the cheapo one with long cord, which has been used for dispensing my brown ale, on my other hefe wheat keg. There was some ale left in the cord and that mixed with wheat. It tasted nice, though.

Are you talking finished Beer? If so I can't see an issue, think of Black and Tans for example. Actually, there is a long history of mixing beers. If you like it, go for it!

Brewpastor said:
Actually, there is a long history of mixing beers.

Yup.. this is how the Porter style was born; Mixing up to 4 or 5 different kinds of beer together to get the flavor desired.

-walker

I like to mix beers. That's one great thing about kegging, you can try a little porter in your brown or hop up a wheat with a little IPA. Putting some Poor Richard's in my CoC brown, makes me think I'll try a pound of corn in the next batch of brown.

Some blackberry cider in a pint of porter is nice, however, cider & IPA doesn't work at all.

Mixing beer is not a crazy idea at all. Some people do it with a beer they don't like with a mediocre beer to make it at least drinkable. Black and tans are good, one of my favorite choices at a bar if they have the right beer. It's a good way to start a conversation about beer with someone , when they ask "hey, what's that?" And if they are really interested they will ask why the black stuff rests on top of the light stuff.

Also a Gueuze is a mix of a new Lambic with a 3 year old Lambic.

OK, I know what a black and tan is, but I thought a half and half was what you used to make a white russian. And I've got no idea about the other two. :confused:

El Pistolero said:
OK, I know what a black and tan is, but I thought a half and half was what you used to make a white russian. And I've got no idea about the other two. :confused:

A Half and Half is when they pour the darker beer on top of the lighter beer (usually first onto an overturned spoon), so it actualy resembles half of the lighter color beer (Bass), and half of the darker colored beer (Guiness).

Snake bite is usually lager and hard cider. I have heard of Harpoon IPA snakebites so ale would work just as well Imagine.

Black top:confused: Never heard of that one. What is it?

it sounds to me like half-and-half and black-and-tan are the exact same thing to me.

Sure, you can buy pre-bottled black and tan that is homogenized (like Yeungling's) but if you ever order a black and tan in a pub or restaurant, they should be divided in the glass.

-walker

Imperial Walker said:
it sounds to me like half-and-half and black-and-tan are the exact same thing to me.

-walker

B&T - Guinness & Bass
H&H - Guinness & Harp

or vice-versa depending on who you talk to.

ahhh... I missed that they use different beers. One is stout+pale ale and the other is stout+lager.

got it.

Either way, they should be separated in the glass if poured properly. :)

-walker

homebrewer_99 said:
Lemon soda and a light pilsner = Radler
Cola and beer = Diesel

I have heard what I suspect might be something of an urban legend--that both of those drinks are popular among German teenagers.

Is that really true? Beer and lemonade I can imagine being palatable. Beer and coca-cola just sounds too nasty to be true.

Yes, it is true. It's not an urban legend. Radlers have been around for decades!

It's also not "lemonade", but lemon soda...you know, like Sprite.:D

The Germans also have a drink called a "Geistmass" and sometimes "Geisermass". "Geist" means "ghost" and a "mass" is a liter mug (the glass ones).

It is half beer and half cola. To which 1 shot of whiskey is added. Man, I've killed many of those when I was younger (read: STUPID!!).

Wow, I didn't expect mixing beers is such a hot topic. From now on I won't clean my beer dispenser, just pull from one keg and plug to another to use, maybe one day I can find a perfect mix :)

Do you clean yours between use?

Back