DC Area Group Buy #7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This group buy is open to HBT members who are local to the DC metro area, including MD and VA as well as the district. A limited number of folks in the Charlottesville/Waynesboro/Staunton area may participate as I drive there 6-8 times a year, but you must be willing to wait for my next trip home...

The intent of this buy is to be held on a regular schedule. We do not have a minimum order to make so we can schedule this to happen on a regular timetable and that allows you to plan your buys to the way you brew instead of having to stock up like the old model forced you to.

Some "info" and "rules" to go over:

* If you want the price list, PM me your email address...otherwise you don't get it!
* The pickup location is at 3 Stars brewery in DC
* TBD but we are doing this either every month or every other month (based on demand) and based on the weekends that Mike works...
* The pickup will occur the last Sat. of each month held
* Pickup time is 10:30 AM and ends at 11 or 11:30 AM (TBD)
* If you cannot pick up your grain, you MUST arrange with someone else to do so
* All payment is via paypal and must be in by midnight Friday the week BEFORE the pickup
* Splits are a PITA, but as long as someone is willing to manage them we will allow them (IslandLizard is managing them now)
* If you suggest a split, you become the primary buyer and must pay me; everyone who gets a split from you will pay you
* In the past we have had issues with some sacks not showing up or the wrong sacks showing up; be forewarned that this can happen, though this is a new supplier so hopefully it won't
* The price list is given out by email so if you want it PM me with your email; no email, no list, no exceptions
* The price list is private, do not share with others. Have them contact me. Do not discuss pricing on the forum. Do not give out the link.
* When ordering please use a standard format, for example:

2 x Briess Pilsen
1 x Muntons Maris Otter

10# of Weyermann® CaraMunich I

* ...and put it at the bottom of your post, away from text to make it stand out. In this example, the buyer is asking for 3 full sacks and to start a split of CaraMunich, of which he is taking 10 pounds.
* If you are buying splits, please quote the primary buyers post as part of your request post to make it easy for us to see what split you are taking.
* We currently create a very complete set of sheets that we keep on google drive with all the information about a buy. Please check it before asking questions. If it is not up to date, give us some time before posting. We do have real jobs, families, and we also like to brew from time to time...
* The brewery has growler hours at 1PM; they cannot sell you a growler before that by law. Don't ask.
* The brewery has a small homebrew store; PLEASE snag some hops, yeast, etc. to show your appreciation.

I will add to this over time and make this a standard start to each buy. Feel free to start buying...yeah reddskinnfan, that means you. :D;)

From reddskinnfan, moved from the Buy #6 thread to here where it belongs so it does not get forgotten:

I am already to put in a couple bags for the next buy and a few splits.

Bags reddskinnfan wants:

Rahr Premium Pilsner
Simpson Golden Promise

Splits:

Weyermann CaraAroma - 10#
Crisp Pale Chocolate - 10#
Crisp Roasted Barley - 10#
Briess Carapils - 10#
Briess Caramel 120L - 10#

Cheers!

This group buy is open to HBT members who are local to the DC metro area, including MD and VA as well as the district. A limited number of folks in the Charlottesville/Waynesboro/Staunton area may participate as I drive there 6-8 times a year, but you must be willing to wait for my next trip home...

The intent of this buy is to be held on a regular schedule. We do not have a minimum order to make so we can schedule this to happen on a regular timetable and that allows you to plan your buys to the way you brew instead of having to stock up like the old model forced you to.

Some "info" and "rules" to go over:

* The pickup location is at 3 Stars brewery in DC
* TBD but we are doing this either every month or every other month (based on demand)
* The pickup will occur the last Sat. of each month held
* Pickup time is 10:30 AM and ends at 11 or 11:30 AM (TBD)
* If you cannot pick up your grain, you MUST arrange with someone else to do so
* All payment is via paypal and must be in by midnight Friday the week BEFORE the pickup
* Splits are a PITA, but as long as someone is willing to manage them we will allow them (IslandLizard is managing them now)
* If you suggest a split, you become the primary buyer and must pay me; everyone who gets a split from you will pay you
* In the past we have had issues with some sacks not showing up or the wrong sacks showing up; be forewarned that this can happen, though this is a new supplier so hopefully it won't
* The price list is given out by email so if you want it PM me with your email; no email, no list, no exceptions
* The price list is private, do not share with others. Have them contact me. Do not discuss pricing on the forum. Do not give out the link.
* When ordering please use a standard format, for example:

2 x Briess Pilsen
1 x Muntons Maris Otter

10# of Weyermann® CaraMunich I

* ...and put it at the bottom of your post, away from text to make it stand out. In this example, the buyer is asking for 3 full sacks and to start a split of CaraMunich, of which he is taking 10 pounds.
* If you are buying splits, please quote the primary buyers post as part of your request post to make it easy for us to see what split you are taking.
* We currently create a very complete set of sheets that we keep on google drive with all the information about a buy. Please check it before asking questions. If it is not up to date, give us some time before posting. We do have real jobs, families, and we also like to brew from time to time...
* The brewery has growler hours at 1PM; they cannot sell you a growler before that by law. Don't ask.
* The brewery has a small homebrew store; PLEASE snag some hops, yeast, etc. to show your appreciation.

I will add to this over time and make this a standard start to each buy. Feel free to start buying...yeah reddskinnfan, that means you. :D;)

Don't worry, my friend. I plan to buy a lot here and at 3 stars, upon pickup!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

From reddskinnfan, moved from the Buy #6 thread to here where it belongs so it does not get forgotten:

I am already to put in a couple bags for the next buy and a few splits.

Bags reddskinnfan wants:

Rahr Premium Pilsner
Simpson Golden Promise

Splits:

Weyermann CaraAroma - 10#
Briess Carapils - 10#

Cheers!

Thanks for the transfer. I had added those already.

I will snag 5# of the Weyermann CaraAroma from reddskinnfan.

Added.

Add 10# of Briess Extra Special to my lise. Thanks!

And another split added.

At the moment 6 splits are open and 250 lbs are up for grabs.
I'm loving the New Google Sheets! Take a look.

I wasn't too get in on the following splits with reddskinnfan:

Sorry about the confusion. You must have peeked in while I was programming and testing the sheet. :)
They have been reset to none. No grain was transferred or relocated in the process. :mug:

Frits: great job on the new sheets! Love the drop down feature. Should make our jobs a "little" easier...grin! Drinkin' Pliney and hanging out with the kids today...life it good! Cheers!

Frits: great job on the new sheets! Love the drop down feature. Should make our jobs a "little" easier...grin! Drinkin' Pliney and hanging out with the kids today...life it good! Cheers!

Glad you like. Added a lot more automatic calculations. The dropdowns are a real boon. Far less looking up, copying and pasting from different sheets. Just be careful not to change anything inadvertently, though.

Now if we could find a way to make the sheet interactive and safe for prospective buyers...

Enjoy your quality time with the family and the elder!

Yes, I brewed today with friends, which means I had some beers today, plus auto correct is stupid. I would like 10# of the three grains listed if that's alright.

Yes, I brewed today with friends, which means I had some beers today, plus auto correct is stupid. I would like 10# of the three grains listed if that's alright.

OK, they've now been added to your account. Beer and auto-correct apparently don't mix well :mug:

2 x WEY1003 Weyermann® Pilsner 25 Kg (55 Lb.)
2 x Simpsons Golden Promise 25 kg (55 lb)

Frits, PM me the link please. I can't find the email from Tony in my inbox.

Thanks,

-Mike

Just for kicks, I took the liberty to look up some of the grain specs on the split list.

Crisp "Pale" Chocolate is 350-450°L which makes it darker than Briess Chocolate @350°L? I would not call 350°L "pale" by any standard, let stand 450.

I do have some "pale chocolate" malt from Thomas Fawcett and it's definitely a lot lighter than Briess Chocolate malt. It's a dark brown, like a good roasted coffee and smells and tastes like it too.
MDHB lists: "About half the lovibond of regular chocolate malt and not as bitter. 185-250L, Thomas Fawcett." That looks and sounds about right.

Briess' Extra Special is 130°L, making it a tad lighter than Special B, but is roasted. Annapolis Homebrew's grain list subtitles Extra Special as Briess' "Pale Chocolate." They also refer to Briess' Special Roast (50°L) as "Brown Malt."

Confused yet? :drunk:

Just for kicks, I took the liberty to look up some of the grain specs on the split list.

Crisp "Pale" Chocolate is 350-450°L which makes it darker than Briess Chocolate @350°L? I would not call 350°L "pale" by any standard, let stand 450.

I do have some "pale chocolate" malt from Thomas Fawcett and it's definitely a lot lighter than Briess Chocolate malt. It's a dark brown, like a good roasted coffee and smells and tastes like it too.
MDHB lists: "About half the lovibond of regular chocolate malt and not as bitter. 185-250L, Thomas Fawcett." That looks and sounds about right.

Briess' Extra Special is 130°L, making it a tad lighter than Special B, but is roasted. Annapolis Homebrew's grain list subtitles Extra Special as Briess' "Pale Chocolate." They also refer to Briess' Special Roast (50°L) as "Brown Malt."

Confused yet? :drunk:

Still going for those malts, as I have never tried them and want to understand the flavor contributions from each.

Still going for those malts, as I have never tried them and want to understand the flavor contributions from each.

By no means did I want to discourage you or any other buyer. I was curious about the Crisp "Pale Chocolate" and stumbled upon all those similar malt names for quite different products. If a recipe calls for Pale Chocolate, better watch out what brand they refer to.

There are many malt cross-reference tables out there (e.g., BYO, BSG, although that one looks lopped off at Gambrinus), and maltsters may call their malts whatever they find appropriate and malt to what they believe is what it should be. We know there are differences but I didn't expect the extend I found.

Yes, it's a nice adventure, a journey through malt country.

3Stars will also be a dropoff point next month for the DC Homebrewers competition. Bring your entry and pick up your grain!
http://www.dchbcompetition.com/

1017358_10203018990537699_263229714_n.jpg

There's plenty. But are you thinking as a split? Then why not put it on the splits list and see if there are other takers?

I may chip in or even buy a whole sack of it.

Split most likely. Not sure I have enough opportunities to brew for a whole sack but then again, my other base grains are vanishing quickly. I'll think about it!

Greetings all, I have a suggestion:

Rather than meeting at 10:30 when the brewery is closed, how about 1 PM when it's open? That way we can buy some 3 star beer - for which of our benefactors I'm sure would appreciate - & we could all chip in on a growler each for stonebrewer and IslandLizard for all their work?

Perhaps schedules can't not be changed this late for #6 but for #7...?

Cheers!
Steve da Sleeve

Greetings all, I have a suggestion:

Rather than meeting at 10:30 when the brewery is closed, how about 1 PM when it's open? That way we can buy some 3 star beer - for which of our benefactors I'm sure would appreciate - & we could all chip in on a growler each for stonebrewer and IslandLizard for all their work?

Perhaps schedules can't not be changed this late for #6 but for #7...?

Cheers!
Steve da Sleeve

Mainly because this is the time when they told us to come and they specifically wanted us out of the way when their main line of business starts at 1PM...

ok, so someone should propse a split of something smoky (not peat). wheat or oats or barley... i can do 15 lbs in the 2.5 years it lasts....

just a thought :)

(wheat would be my preference)

Back