Fermenter build using barn wood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoresonDE

Reaction score
Picked up a 7.0cf GE freezer awhile back and a temperature controller to turn it into a fermenter. Been working on building a frame around it to then attach the barn wood to the outside. Trying to go for it to look like a piece of furniture rather than a big white noisy box since this will go in the house. Here are some pictures, Finally got the main frame done and started working on getting the barn wood cut to size.
20130205-DSC_1038.jpg

20130205-DSC_1039.jpg

20130205-DSC_1040.jpg

20130205-DSC_1041.jpg

So dissapointing! I thought you were going to be a nut job building a wooden fermenter!

Should look nice when you get done though.

Got a little more done this week, slow going especially with those beams. One was hand plane and not square at all. Next up are all the 1x's.

DSC_1044.jpg

DSC_1045.jpg

So dissapointing! I thought you were going to be a nut job building a wooden fermenter!

Should look nice when you get done though.

That's what I was hoping for too, a wooden fermenter. Then we could have all got up in arms about sanitation. But then tell you, oh, it'll fine, relax and have a beer.

BobbiLynn said:
That's what I was hoping for too, a wooden fermenter. Then we could have all got up in arms about sanitation. But then tell you, oh, it'll fine, relax and have a beer.

A lot of my favorite beers are fermented in wood. Breweries acquire foudres (really, really big barrels) and barrels when wineries and distilleries are done with them.

A lot of my favorite beers are fermented in wood. Breweries acquire foudres (really, really big barrels) and barrels when wineries and distilleries are done with them.

I guess it was the old barn wood part I was thinking of. Little different from a hard wood barrel that's been broke in. A woodsy beer sounds really good right now. Hmmm.. tastes like... barn. Where horses and cows were kept for years. Yum.

Me three. But can you build a wooden fermenter? A big water tight square box made from some old non resiny salvaged wood. Silicone the seams, make it tight and right. Some how sanitize it. Some one do it, then i'll do it if it works. Ha.

Back