Absorption and Tun Loss Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
New to AG and have brewed the same recipe twice (13.25lbs of grain). I have the common 10 gallon round orange tun. Ran the recipe thru several different software apps and all of them said to use approx 4.15 gals for the initial infusion. All of them suggest about a 0.13gal/lb absorption rate. Well, in both cases, I ended up with approx 4.25 gal in the mash due to adjustments to get the proper temp and both times I collected 3.5 gal. Even if I consider all of the "loss" due to absorption, that gives me a 0.06gal/lb absorption. Seems low right? And that does not assume any loss in the bottom of the tun. Any advice on how to determine the proper loss values for absorption and tun loss in my case?

Second, while I'm asking questions, all of the apps also recommended adding 5 gals for sparging (this with a 6.75 gal pre-boil volume specified). Assuming that the grain will have already absorbed all the water it can, and whatever tun loss I have will already still be in the tun, doesn't that volume seem way high? From my understanding, the sparge volume should be equal to the pre-boil desired volume minus the volume collected from the initial infusion, right?

New to AG and have brewed the same recipe twice (13.25lbs of grain). I have the common 10 gallon round orange tun. Ran the recipe thru several different software apps and all of them said to use approx 4.15 gals for the initial infusion. All of them suggest about a 0.13gal/lb absorption rate. Well, in both cases, I ended up with approx 4.25 gal in the mash due to adjustments to get the proper temp and both times I collected 3.5 gal. Even if I consider all of the "loss" due to absorption, that gives me a 0.06gal/lb absorption. Seems low right? And that does not assume any loss in the bottom of the tun. Any advice on how to determine the proper loss values for absorption and tun loss in my case?

Second, while I'm asking questions, all of the apps also recommended adding 5 gals for sparging (this with a 6.75 gal pre-boil volume specified). Assuming that the grain will have already absorbed all the water it can, and whatever tun loss I have will already still be in the tun, doesn't that volume seem way high? From my understanding, the sparge volume should be equal to the pre-boil desired volume minus the volume collected from the initial infusion, right?

First, determine how much water you lose to the mash tun by adding a gallon to the tun and then draining as much as possible. This is roughly how much you lose to the mash tun. Then, to get the absorption you take initial_vol - tun_loss - volume in kettle. Based on your example, it seems your volume measurements could be off somewhere.

My absorption is about 0.1g/lb. Some softwares start at 0.19 which is about twice as much. I also don't boiloff as much, but then again I try to control my boil quite a bit cause I usually have a near full pot volume

Yes. Don't oversparge or else you're just getting watered down beer.

First, determine how much water you lose to the mash tun by adding a gallon to the tun and then draining as much as possible. This is roughly how much you lose to the mash tun.

I assumed this at first also, and then I came to the realization that this is incorrect. In an empty tun, I lose about 1/2 gallon. However, once the tun is filled, a large portion of that volume beneath the drain elevation is occupied by grain, thereby displacing a lot of the volume of water. By your (and my original) method, assuming the measured 0.5 gallon loss, the volume absorbed would be approx 1 quart or 0.02gal/lb.

Back