10 gallon Stockpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKramer89

Reaction score
Hey everybody. This'll be my first "real" brew after doing a few Mr. Beers. I decided I'd like to get into brewing a little more, so I ordered this Starter Kit:http://www.brockshomebrew.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=222
with the optional glass carboy.

Could you guys recommend to me a good 10 gallon stockpot (for a 5-gallon batch) that's relatively low-priced? I've heard some people say they aren't crazy about aluminum, so preferably stainless steel (or whatever you all think is good). I'd like to keep it under $100, if possible. Also, i just have a glass stove top, so should i use a propane burner instead?

Thanks a lot.

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com sells a 10gal stainless no frills pot with markings for 69 bucks. Pick up some bulk hops while you are ordering. If you want it outfitted check out spike brewing. Good luck

honestly I really like my aluminum pot and drilling it to mount spigots was easy. you probably will want to use a propane burner rather than an electric stove. only catch with aluminum pots is you should fill it and boil water in it for an hour to create an oxide layer on the pot kinda like seasoning a paella pan. after that you should be good to go. no issues with mine through my first couple of brews

Ditto on the AL pot - I got mine for next to nothing on eBay with a lid. Look for NSF markings on it and do boil with H2O first. Little known fact is AL conducts heat much better than SS, and it's so easy drilling to add accessories...

TheKramer89 said:
Would it be crazy to just get a big Turkey fryer? Sometimes those go for like $50 including a burner.

Walmart has a turkey fryer set for 34 dollars right now. I got it. It has burner. 30 qt pot. Lid, thermometer. It is a great set.

If you have an Academy Sports nearby you can find a 42 quart Aluminum pot with strainer basket for $50 bucks. They also have a square propane burner that this would fit on nicely for another $30 bucks. I got the pot today and actually could get a good rolling boil on my glass stovetop. The downside it only took 1.5 hours to reach said rolling boil. So a propane burner is necessary IMO.

Kramer89,

I was in the same boat and after some exhausting searching on HBT, ended up with Bayou Classic equipment for the burner (SQ14 $52) and the kettle (4060 60 QT $106). Those are Amazon prices. For me, it was a good mid-range equipment decision that should last for some time and gives me flexibility for AG in the future.

Back