First shot at CDA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

itsthewater

After looking over DGB for tips on IPA formulation, I decided to try my hand at going to the dark side. I'm still relatively new to designing recipes so feedback would be great.

Two Row - 10.75 lbs
Crystal 30 - 1.5 lbs
Victory - 1.5 lbs
Carafa III - 8 oz
Black Pat. - 4 oz
Dextrin - 4 oz

Chinook .25 @ 60
Centennial .5 @ 60
Chinook .25 @ 45
Centennial .5 @ 45
Centennial .25 @ 30
Cascade .5 @ 30
Centennial .25 @ 20
Cascade .5 @ 20
Cascade .5 @ 5
Cascade 1.5 dry hopped

All that and 1272. Going for med. bodied, balanced beer able to be drank year round. Ideas?

Looks like a lot of dark malt to me. I made one a few weeks back with 10lbs 2-row, 1lb C40, 8oz Carafa II (no III available), and 4oz Chocolate malt. It came out very well balanced, good malt, not just a dark-colored IPA. I used Columbus and Nugget hops, all in the last 15 minutes (and mostly at 1 and FO, plus 2oz dry hops).

Not saying your recipe won't come out good, I just thought mine was on the malty side for a CDA. Can't hurt to try it! I'm sure others will have more creative input on actually balancing your grains.

I don't think you want black patent in an IPA. Either drop it or only use 0.5 oz at end of sparge. All that carafa will give you the color you need. If you can get carafa special, even better. Why the C-30? You're not using it for color. Trying to add some sweetness? Consider replacing it with C-120 and dropping it to a lb or less. That will darken it up even more if that's your thing. I've done 3/4# C-120 and 1/2# Carafa Special and it was quite black.

Back