What happens to yeast when it ferments too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiSoloII

Splitting the beer atom since 1996
Reaction score
I pitched Wyeast1335 in an IPA at 1.065 with a really good starter, and went on vacation. We turned down the thermostat to 50 degrees. I didn't think about it.

I've had poorer attenuation (and longer time, by far!) with this yeast. I'm still in primary with active kraesen when I brewed on 11/22.

What happens when the yeast is used below recommended temp?

YEAST STRAIN: 1335 | British Ale II™
Back to Yeast Strain List

A classic British ale profile with good flocculation and malty flavor characteristics. It will finish crisp, clean and fairly dry.

Origin:
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 73-76%
Temperature Range: 63-75° F (17-24° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

Thanks,

Dave

below recommended temp, fermentation is slower and can get 'stuck.' Increasing temps again can get it going; with highly flocculent yeast, such as the one you used, agitating the beer can also help. It can make a difference in the final product as well; generally a cleaner profile with less yeast character. It's much of what accounts for the clean tasting nature of lagers.

Given the nature of this yeast, I think the main thing to look out for is that it attenuates fully. I've had issues with ales fermented with british strains not finishing off, and cold only exacerbates this. Just watch the hydrometer; if it doesn't finish, take measures to help it do so. In extremity, pitch a strong yeast to finish it off. Past that, RDWHAHB.

Got this from Wyeast today:

David,

In general, slower start to fermentation, slower fermentation overall, and longer time to finish fermentation. Sometimes, the fermentation will completely stall.

Also, typically, a cleaner, less fruity beer with the strain you used. Also, you may encounter higher sulfur levels... but this is not always true.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Jess Caudill
Brewer/Microbiologist
Wyeast Laboratories

Back