Just yeast or contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimMurphy1974

Reaction score
I am a new homebrewer and I am on my first all grain batch. I pitched my yeast 10 days ago for a blonde ale and when I went to transfer my beer to the secondary yesterday I saw a lot of foamy white green goo on the top. I am used to the yeast bed going to the bottom by 10 days.

I looked in my secondary this morning and I have about 30 small (1/8") circular spots on the top. Is this a contaminant or do I just have yeast still floating in my beer?

The yeast did its job on fermentation, went from 1.050 to 1.012 on gravity. It tastes okay as well.

Thanks

A picture would help....But they are more than likely yeast rafts....all is well, it's just yeast buoyed up by rising co2....it is the most common new brewer freakout on here. Rarely is the surface of a beer ever perfectly clear. There's always colonies of yeast floating around, and stuff being kicked up by co2.

It's hard to tell from the description, but it definitely could be krausen remnants. If it tastes ok, and doesn't smell bad, it's probably just yeast.

Latest posts

Back