Coriander..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coriander.. how do YOU use it

• Crush

• Grind

• As-is

Results are only viewable after voting.

riored4v

Reaction score
Kinda curious how people use their coriander.

I've seen people crush it (rolling pin, etc), grind it (coffee grinder) and dump it in, in regular seed form.

For my last beer (orange/cascade) I just dumped it in as-is, but if I'm doing it wrong, i'd like to know before i continue down that path.

I used it for the first time this past weekend and I crushed it, have to wait a bit to see what the results are.

I pop it (and most other spices) in a blender. With the coriander, it simply cracks open the shells and it's easy to filter out of the wort.

Well by me leaving it as-is, will I get any flavor from the coriander?

Probably - depending on the time you put it in the boil or how long you steep it. But it won't be nearly as much as if you pop those bad boys open. In my opinion, as long as they're popped open you're going to get close to the same amount of flavor regardless of the method.

I guess it depends on how much coriander flavor you want. I have never thrown whole seeds in so I don't know for certain.

Probably - depending on the time you put it in the boil or how long you steep it. But it won't be nearly as much as if you pop those bad boys open. In my opinion, as long as they're popped open you're going to get close to the same amount of flavor regardless of the method.

I guess it depends on how much coriander flavor you want. I have never thrown whole seeds in so I don't know for certain.

Really to not sure since I've never made the orange/cascade pale ale recipe before. I'm guessing it should be fairly subtle, so I'm hoping i'll be fine.

They were added w/ 10 minutes left.

Glad I made the thread though.. i'll be crushing them from now on.

After being warned prior to using it last year, I only crushed about a quarter of what the recipe called for & left the remaining ones whole. I was told to be careful & that the flavor could be overpowering if all of it were crushed. The beer came out great & had subtle character from the coriander.

After being warned prior to using it last year, I only crushed about a quarter of what the recipe called for & left the remaining ones whole. I was told to be careful & that the flavor could be overpowering if all of it were crushed. The beer came out great & had subtle character from the coriander.

mmmmmm, Laurel's infamous Coriander Beer. I've made the same mistake too, although my version was drinkable, I learned not to use 1 oz of coriander finely chopped in any beer recipe.

I made a big Wheat beer and ground an oz for the secondary. It's a shock at first, but people can't stop drinking it... I would say if the beer has the body and bite, it can handle it. at 9% though... well... let's just say I served at poker night and my rims setup was free :)

I put them in a zip lock bag and then run a rolling pin or wine bottle over it until cracked open. I've found them to be pretty strong and now cut BM's blue moon recipe in half to suit my taste.

Randy Mosher, of radical brewing fame, spoke at a recent homebrew festival in Grand Rapids, MI and he brought several types of sugar and several types of coriander. I could not believe the difference in flavor between some of the corianders! Next time I am in the big city I will be looking to get some different corianders. You can find them in the world market or ethnic foods stores.

Nope, it won't work. A friend of mine decided she wanted to brew a hefeweizen (the first and only brew she did) and she threw in whole coriander. Crushing it releases the flavors and aromas, her beer had ZERO coriander notes and EVERY bottle has annoying little coriander seeds floating on top, if you don't pour into a glass (like she doesn't) then you end up drinkin' em and that sucks.

Crush those little bastards.

Nope, it won't work. A friend of mine decided she wanted to brew a hefeweizen (the first and only brew she did) and she threw in whole coriander. Crushing it releases the flavors and aromas, her beer had ZERO coriander notes and EVERY bottle has annoying little coriander seeds floating on top, if you don't pour into a glass (like she doesn't) then you end up drinkin' em and that sucks.

Crush those little bastards.

No coriander seeds made it into my secondary but i use a paint strainer over my bucket while i drain the wort into it.

Latest posts

Back