Challenge your reality, forever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
This is an especially good video to watch after a few beers. If you haven't heard of the double slit experiment before, this could mess with your concept of reality:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it freaks me out to think that when a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, it both makes a sound AND doesn't make a sound. I'm with you, I'm grabbing another beer.:drunk:

I tend to get headaches from this stuff, or is it just hangovers changed by my perception of events prior to thinking about it? But now that I have thought about it, it must be a hangover.

there was a great nerd joke about this in futurama "the luck of the fryrish" but I cant find the video.

my bud at the pub was talking about this the other day. thats really messed up. i wish i understood more about this type of thing. i need a beer.

Wonder how the experiment would change when Photons are used instead of Electrons, and "someone is watching".

Seeing things like this makes me sick. I love Physics but hate that I waited so long to find an appreciation. I'll be 95 before I have a degree in Physics at the rate I am going.

Wonder how the experiment would change when Photons are used instead of Electrons, and "someone is watching".

Seeing things like this makes me sick. I love Physics but hate that I waited so long to find an appreciation. I'll be 95 before I have a degree in Physics at the rate I am going.

This effect was first exhibited with protons. Both have mass and exhibit wave-particle duality. I love this stuff. You can wet your whistle on "The Universe in a Nutshell" or "A Brief History of Time" but if anyone's really interested I suggest "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. He's heavy on string theory but even the first few chapters of "basics" will blow your mind.

It's relative man... it's ALL relative. :D

ok, well before everyones minds blow up. the reason the electrons behaved differently when observed is because they have to be actively watched, kind of like using a camera with a flash. the flash changes the picture. its not like the electrons showed signs of intelligence. they should have included this in the video.

The watcing eye is a red herring. They are missing an unknown. I know this because I am dumb, and they are too clever to see it. ;)

I don't understand this stuff, but it fascinates me nevertheless. Actually, quantum physicists don't really understand it either. They know what's happening, they just don't really know why. It's a crazy world we live in. Here's an article on this topic that's somewhat old but still interesting.

http://www.cebaf.gov/news/internet/1997/spooky.html

Take a look at this. It's the Hubble Ultra Deep Field image.

http://www.jonathanminard.com/EarthSpace/Hubble_Ultra_Deep_Field_Black_point_edit.jpg

"Right now, on your computer screen, are approximately 10,000 galaxies.

Each of those galaxies contains anywhere from ten million to one trillion stars.

The average star is roughly a million times the size of Earth.

And yet, with all that junk, the Universe is more than 90 percent empty space.

All of that, in this tiny photo. A photo that took 400 orbits and 800 exposures to take.

And the kicker? The photo covers one thirteen-millionth of the entire night sky.

So What Does This Do For Me? If you’re like us, it leaves you alternately awash with spiritual wonder and horrified feelings of utter insignificance. Actually imagining just how infinitesimal you are in the scope of the universe is like autoerotic asphyxiation: it’s not as pleasant as you’d think, and if you do it wrong you can end up a vegetable. And without getting too Douglas Adams on you, can you possibly imagine that much space and that many planets and stars and atoms smashing together without intelligent life forming? Now it’s just a matter of getting around that pesky general relativity and we’ll be chilling with aliens in no time. Or, like, a million years.

Wait, It Gets Worse: So all that **** we just said about how big the universe is (at least 90 billion light years)? Forget it. That’s small beans. The Cosmological Horizon is here to make your day a whole lot more complicated. Since we can only observe stellar bodies that have had some effect on us (usually bombarding us with light), there is an outer limit to what we can see of the universe. Hence, the “observable universe.” What about the rest? The parts of the universe beyond our Starcraft-style fog of war? Well, according to some math we have no interest in going into, the size of the “actual” universe is so large that if the universe we just described (the impossibly, mind-bogglingly large one) were the size of a quarter, the actual universe would be the size of the Earth. Daaaaaaaamn."

Source of article: http://www.cracked.com/blog/2008/08/07/5-scientific-theories-head-explode/

And some lighter reading: http://www.miskatonic.org/godel.html

Enjoy. I think I'm gonna go have a beer now and look at boobies in the boneyard.

ok, well before everyones minds blow up. the reason the electrons behaved differently when observed is because they have to be actively watched, kind of like using a camera with a flash. the flash changes the picture. its not like the electrons showed signs of intelligence. they should have included this in the video.

This is a clip from What the Bleep Do We Know?. The movie masks a lot of new age religion and pseudoscience behind misrepresented scientific principals.

Three of the directors of the movie are members of Ramtha's School of Enlightenment and one of the people interviewed is Ramtha him/herself, who is a 35,000 year old Lemurian warrior being channeled by a woman named JZ Knight.

Hence the fact that they want to make it seem like the electron has intelligence or is at least guided by an intelligent force.

If there was a clip there, it's not working as of right now. :confused:

This is a clip from What the Bleep Do We Know?. The movie masks a lot of new age religion and pseudoscience behind misrepresented scientific principals.

Three of the directors of the movie are members of Ramtha's School of Enlightenment and one of the people interviewed is Ramtha him/herself, who is a 35,000 year old Lemurian warrior being channeled by a woman named JZ Knight.

Take a look at this. It's the Hubble Ultra Deep Field image.

http://www.jonathanminard.com/EarthSpace/Hubble_Ultra_Deep_Field_Black_point_edit.jpg

Wait, It Gets Worse: So all that **** we just said about how big the universe is (at least 90 billion light years)? Forget it. That’s small beans. The Cosmological Horizon is here to make your day a whole lot more complicated. Since we can only observe stellar bodies that have had some effect on us (usually bombarding us with light), there is an outer limit to what we can see of the universe. Hence, the “observable universe.” What about the rest? The parts of the universe beyond our Starcraft-style fog of war? Well, according to some math we have no interest in going into, the size of the “actual” universe is so large that if the universe we just described (the impossibly, mind-bogglingly large one) were the size of a quarter, the actual universe would be the size of the Earth. Daaaaaaaamn."
So are we as important as we would like to believe, or are we just a pimple on a gnats ass?

Latest posts

Back