I'm sorry sir you've had too much...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
Ever had that happen to you? I walked up the stairs in a restaurant where I was hosting my daughters birthday dinner kind of badly since my legs were shot. Last weekend I ran a 24 hour race so my legs and ankles are a little wobbly! The manager sees me stumble and approaches, says I've had too much to drink and they wouldn't serve me any more beer. I was somewhat taken aback but since the one I had was not up to my standards - I brew damn good beer of course - I said fine and went off to the restroom.

Then while I was away from the table he says the same thing to the *whole* party. My wife tells him that I was walking a little more delicately since my quads were shredded and my body generally beat up from last weekends race. I came back to the table and now everyone was weirded out.

He apologizes and gets me two beers to compensate.

My wife was outraged. My daughter was amused, I was embarrassed. And sort of amused also. But the evening was not quite so celebratory after that weird and unnecessary interaction.

Anyway thanks for listening!

Cheers!
Steve da sleeve

I use the "drive 24 miles" excuse. That **** wears me out like none other

I have never had that happen, and then one night after 2 rogue double dead guys and a few other drinks I closed my tab and left.

That night I crashed my car.

Bartenders who do not cut people off, ARE held accountable, and should exercise their right and not only on those who "look wobbly".

I can hold my liquor and beer, but what I had that night kicked my a$$.

Yes I was fine, yes the bartender lost his/her (not im not saying who or what city/bar, not my home town) license and was fined/fired.

I did not receive a citation. I also no longer EVER take a sip at a bar and drive.

I homebrew and snooze it off on the couch.

I have never had that happen, and then one night after 2 rogue double dead guys and a few other drinks I closed my tab and left.

Bartenders who do not cut people off, ARE held accountable, and should exercise their right and not only on those who "look wobbly".

Yes I was fine, yes the bartender lost his/her (not im not saying who or what city/bar, not my home town) license and was fined/fired.

I did not receive a citation. I also no longer EVER take a sip at a bar and drive.

While I don't believe in preventative crimes, it sounds like you ****ed up and are blaming others. Had you actually hurt someone else, which would clearly be a crime, the bartender had nothing to do with it.

So you got drunk as **** and cost someone their job? Enjoy that tasty karma. Should be fun.

At least quit drinking. If you're going to wreck other peoples' lives with your drinking, give it up

And leave the homebrewing community, we have no place for you

Wow - you blamed the bartender.. :rolleyes:

Wow - you blamed the bartender.. :rolleyes:

To be fair, bartenders are required by law to recognize excessive levels of dbaggery, and not serve them

Nevermind, that almost sounds like I'm giving this guy an out

I don't usually go to bars. But a few weeks ago I was in one, got to talking to a guy who had also roughnecked on Oklahoma oil rigs years ago, and drank three double Jack Daniels on an empty stomach. When I ordered another one the bartender told me he was sorry, but I'd already had enough.

A sign that he may have been right: my immediate reply was, "well, !@#$ you too, Jack!" Not my usual style at all; normally I try to at least act like I have a little class.

I think he did me a favor, and I'll apologise if I'm ever in there again. But I probably won't be; it was a good reminder of why I started staying out of bars to begin with.

You did not receive a citation and no DUI. How was the bartender involved then? How did they even know about him? Did you go after him? Something kind of fishy here...

When I was 21 or 22, I was out day drinking with my brother and a buddy of ours who has a reputation for being a wild man. We got the idea, after many pitchers, that we wanted to drink German beer out of glass boots. Back then there weren't any German beer halls, beer gardens, etc in downtown Milwaukee, but there is a very fancy German restaurant. So we went there.

We had a round or two in glass boots and then the bartender, very politely and very deftly and with a friendly smile on his face, said, "Thanks for stopping by, gentlemen. Here's your bill and there's a cab waiting for you outside. Cheers.". Message received.

I stopped going to bars since they passed that dumb law where I can't smoke while drinkin my beer. Gettin expensive anyway.

When I was younger and stupider I wish the bar would have cut me off sometimes. Luckily I wasn't stupid enough to drive and would either take a cab or get a ride the 3 blocks it is to my house...but I paid for the drinking with some nasty hangovers and a few embarassing stories. Bar tender was just doing their job, but at the end of the day it is up to each individual to be responsible for themselves, not the bar tender....they are not baby sitters even though they are being legally held to that standard.

Back on the origional poster, I think it was wrong of them to tell your party you had to much..even if you had, they could have been more discreet and asked your wife or daughter to step aside for the conversation. And they also could have asked you if you were okay before assuming you were drunk. You probably would have responded about the run and it would have been cleared up. They made too many assumptions.

Great story. BTW, how far is a 24 hr race?

For me about 2 miles...
I got stopped by the local cops once in my 67 chevy pick up after leaving a mex restaurant one of the headlights were out. I slapped the fender and it came back on, old trucks lol. The big problem was we had a mex flag shot and the bartender set the whole bar on fire lighting it and splashed both of us with liquor. Lucky me I was not drunk cause it would have been a bad night. :drunk:

24 hours - go as far as you can! I did 86, got another one in 4 weeks and since I'm running for a charity I'm going for 100 though I suspect it'll be out of my athletic abilities not being an elite or anything close.

The thing that bothered me was announcing to the table. That was pretty embarrassing. No big deal, just a colorful moment in a nice gathering, but discretion would have been welcome. Anyway I'm not going back there!

Eight of us were out at a bar and grill a few weeks ago and one of us ordered some super boozy drink. One of those ridiculous, pour the whole bar in it concoctions. The waitress took the order to the bar, came back and said the bartender said he'd only make one of those per person for the night. That was also the last 151 that would come to our table.

Meh. CYA. Nobody needs to get smashed in public anyway

Well, ProfSudz since you are unaware of server seller laws, I will let you know the server is responsible as well as the establishment.

Since I wrecked my car less than a block from the bar (which I was found awake and sitting on the curb), the video tape of the bar showed how many drinks I had been served in the hour prior to leaving, and that number was 4 before I closed my tab, one as I closed my tab, and one before I left. I was never offered water to rehydrate, nor anything other than "what would you like to try next".

Including a "free" double dead guy, "for the road" after I had paid, and seconds from walking out the door...

Yes they were at fault.

I was new to craft brews and had no idea nor was I told of the alcohol content of the beer I was intaking.

There was no markings, I asked how it compared to my usual beer and was told it was about the same.

There IS a problem with that, if you can not see that, then it is your moral set that should be evaluated.

Well, ProfSudz since you are unaware of server seller laws, I will let you know the server is responsible as well as the establishment.

Since I wrecked my car less than a block from the bar (which I was found awake and sitting on the curb), the video tape of the bar showed how many drinks I had been served in the hour prior to leaving, and that number was 4 before I closed my tab, one as I closed my tab, and one before I left. I was never offered water to rehydrate, nor anything other than "what would you like to try next".

Including a "free" double dead guy, "for the road" after I had paid, and seconds from walking out the door...

Yes they were at fault.

I was new to craft brews and had no idea nor was I told of the alcohol content of the beer I was intaking.

There was no markings, I asked how it compared to my usual beer and was told it was about the same.

There IS a problem with that, if you can not see that, then it is your moral set that should be evaluated.

I have to agree with the rest of the folks responding to you. You made a mistake and are blaming someone else.

Man up and stop blaming others for your behavior. I believe I counted 7 drinks in your description. So you drank 7 beers, got in your car, crashed it, and somehow you believe that what happened was not your fault.

Maturity is what you lack.

I suppose genetics caused you to drink in the first place, so that would mean that your parents are to blame. Or because it's legal to drink in America, somehow Obama is to blame.

Your argument is too week. You did it. It was you... all you. Nobody else... just YOU. Own up to your mistake and get on with it. And most importantly, always feel grateful that you didn't kill anyone with such an unbelievably immature act.

Yes they were at fault.

So YOU are incapable of knowing when YOU had to much to drink? Wow I guess we really do have to rely on bartenders these days. That is a shame....

When I was younger and stupider I wish the bar would have cut me off sometimes. Luckily I wasn't stupid enough to drive and would either take a cab or get a ride the 3 blocks it is to my house...but I paid for the drinking with some nasty hangovers and a few embarassing stories. Bar tender was just doing their job, but at the end of the day it is up to each individual to be responsible for themselves, not the bar tender....they are not baby sitters even though they are being legally held to that standard.

Back on the origional poster, I think it was wrong of them to tell your party you had to much..even if you had, they could have been more discreet and asked your wife or daughter to step aside for the conversation. And they also could have asked you if you were okay before assuming you were drunk. You probably would have responded about the run and it would have been cleared up. They made too many assumptions.

Back when I was in college, an old barfly down at the corner tavern announced a couple of days before New Year's Eve that because he'd been popped for a DUI the last two years running, "this year by God, I'm not even touching my car keys. I'm walking here, and I'm walking home."

Next time I saw him I asked how that had worked out. And he said, "well, I went past a house where some cops were taking down a guy for beating up his old lady, and be damned if one of 'em didn't cuff me and stuff me for being intoxicated in public."

Then he added, "next year by God, I'm driving. If I'm gonna spend New Year's Day in jail anyway, there's no sense getting all worn out and blistered on top of it."

Oh please, The LAW is the LAW.

We were BOTH at fault, However The BAR has RESPONSIBILITIES that out weight the Customer.

This was also not the first, but third time this had happened in less than a year with the bar.

I am not making excuses, I clarified the situation, and I expressed my personal stance on not drinking and driving.

As well as the RESPONSIBILITY of Servers to ACT on intoxicated persons.

The local and state laws were reviewed, they (the Bar) was found to be in gross negligence, and was shut down for days and fined, on top of the bar tender losing his/her license and job.

That same bartender had another patron almost kill herself on her way home.

What about those other people? If it happens more than once, and the only link between the people and the outcome is the SAME bartender at the SAME Bar, what do you think is going to keep happening?

There is a 3 strike system in place in Texas for bars who serve alcohol to intoxicated individuals, it holds the bar and server/seller accountable.

So here is the LAW as it applies in Texas laid out for you:

Sale to Intoxicated Person

Section 101.63 of the Alcoholic Beverage Code makes it a crime to sell alcoholic beverages to an intoxicated person. Selling alcohol to an intoxicated person is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $500 and/or up to a year in jail. Bartenders, wait staff and store clerks are legally obligated to look for signs of intoxication and to refuse to continue serving someone who appears to be intoxicated.

Civil Liability

TABC license or permit holders may be held civilly liable for personal injury or property damage caused by an intoxicated person who was served alcoholic beverages on the licensed premises.

Not once did I say it was not my fault. I should not have accepted the drinks, I should have known my limit. That night I failed myself, and it has CHANGED me.

That is all that needs to be said, I hope everyone who chooses to drink and drive, has someone there to STOP them.

Yes they were at fault.

You're wrong. Just because the law will punish the bartender doesn't mean you didn't conduct yourself appallingly. When you got up from the bar and felt wobbly, that was your cue not to drive. When you got one more beer for the road, that is not acceptable no matter what the content of the seven other drinks you consumed was. Presumably, you have alcohol at home and no bartender to cut you off there... why would you think your responsibilities change when you are drinking in public?

The fact that you got off scot free is irrelevant. The myriad inconsistencies of our justice system are a matter of public record.

This is actually kind of funny.

I express a life changing incident and the belief that people serving alcohol have a responsibility for every drink they serve, and i'm on trial.

Well people, The Judicial system weighed in, and the TABC weighed in, and the over pouring at the establishment was found to be illegal.

It seems you people are more upset that I was not given a citation, than the fact that a bar was cited for serving intoxicated people, and sending intoxicated people out their door.

That is hypocrisy. The bar's profit margin is more important that taking care of their customers, only selling them another drink that is the thing we should care about right?

WRONG.

Anyone in the bar business will tell you, evaluate the customer before each drink. Error on the safe side. That practice never happened, not for me nor those other people.

I hope all of you have a nice day.

Oh please, The LAW is the LAW.

We were BOTH at fault, However The BAR has RESPONSIBILITIES that out weight the Customer.
I agree the bartender screwed the pooch royally, but nothing outweighs personal responsibility. And I too find it passing strange that he and the bar got nailed, but you didn't.

My dad never tried to discourage me from drinking. But he pounded two things into me:

1. Remember: it's never the liquor talking; it's always you.

2. You are responsible for your own actions, drunk or sober.

add: I understand that in Japan, a couple of murderers are appealing their convictions on the grounds that because they were too drunk to know what they were doing, they can't be held responsible. I don't think they'll get very far with that argument, but you never can tell... this is no longer the world my dad raised me in. For better and for worse, it keeps changing.

You're right, I'm more upset about you getting off than the bar/bar tender being cited. They should have cut you off and didn't, so they have blame in this too. But the vast majority of the blame is on your shoulders.

Fault is not exclusive. Again, you could have drank as much as you wanted at home with zero oversight. Again, drinking seven beers before you go home is not OK even if the beer is 4%. The fact that the bartender let you break the law is immaterial.

To wit, the reason nobody is worked up over the bartender is because he's the only one in the equation who got what he deserved. The law is indeed the law, but it is not morality.

Someone needs to move this to the debate forum before I get banned, and so that CCBrewer has to pony up to keep arguing that he's not a scumbag.

If you talk with someone for about 30sec, you can get a feel for how much they have had. In my younger years I bounced in a biker bar, you could see how someone was growing to the point of a fight breaking out. They would often be relieved to be removed from the situation (usually over a women). I think people were less violent back then, less likely to stab or shoot me. Anyway, some people can drink straight whiskey all night without problem, others get squirrely after just a few.

This is actually kind of funny..

See, you continue to show a complete lack of personal responsibility.

There is nothing funny about your driving drunk,,, Nothing funny about you drinking to excess in public and then blaming your lack of moral, ethical behavior as a fault of anyone but YOU.

troy2000 said:
I agree the bartender screwed the pooch royally, but nothing outweighs personal responsibility. And I too find it passing strange that he and the bar got nailed, but you didn't. My dad never tried to discourage me from drinking. But he pounded two things into me: 1. Remember: it's never the liquor talking; it's always you. 2. You are responsible for your own actions, drunk or sober. add: I understand that in Japan, a couple of murderers are appealing their convictions on the grounds that because they were too drunk to know what they were doing, they can't be held responsible. I don't think they'll get very far with that argument, but you never can tell... this is no longer the world my dad raised me in. For better and for worse, it keeps changing.

I HATE it when people using being drunk as an excuse for saying or doing something stupid. Don't drink so much if it makes you do stupid things.

To the OP, I would be embarrassed as well but equally amused that the apology to trying to cut me off was more beer. I find after any activity where I exert myself for hours I tend to feel the effects of alcohol faster. Maybe not a week after, but certainly up to a day after at best.

I don't mind if I am ever cut off but I would still be embarrassed because I'm an adult and I think I should know my limits. There are laws and bartenders aren't going to risk their livelihood on my ass. On the other hand, if I don't show enough signs of being drunk and I get in a car, that's all on me. I would never point the finger back to the bar/restaurant and say the bartender should have cut me off. I am an overly accountable person though, to a fault. It works for me, most days.

Switching gears here:

24 hours of running? Wow!? I was doing 10k runs without realizing or knowing it weekly. Im 40 though now and its starting to show. Seen that there was a local 5,10k and half marathon race. So I pushed myself farther.So decided to see what I was actually running, so by 1 hr 20 min and going extra mile or two I was barely doing that much more over 10k and by about the last 5 minutes my knee started getting jacked up. So much for pushing myself farther and longer.Now I couldnt even enter for the 10k without knowing Id halve to start walking half way through or sooner-so I decided not to enter at all. STicking to biking and walking for the rest of the year now. Hopfully Ill be able to run my regular runs next spring.

As far as the wobbly knees. I would have laughed the bartenter off too. It was cool he was trying to do his job and even better apologizing and getting you a couple beers.

Yes they were at fault.

I maybe dumb but how does a bar/bartender get burned for you smashing your car and you do not get a drunk driving charge?

if you were not charged with drunk driving then how could the bar be at fault for your car crash?

and if it is because of some video of you drinking alcohol then going to your car and driving, then why didn't the same video get you a dwi/dui?

all the best

S_M

I don't understand why some people get beligerant when they drink. I drink to relax & enjoy my beers. Easpecially after a long week at work back then. Now it's more like a long day of working on the car or in the brewery. I won't drink till my day is done. kind of a reward for git-n-r done.

73 bars in south Tx were cited for selling to an intoxicated person.

I wounder if they know this individual is telling the world he got away with drunk driving and endangering the public, even though the bar was supposedly hammered (pun intended)

TABC site has a GREAT search program....... names and address of each of those site bars, the owners...

To get back to the OP.

No, never been cut off, but I don't really go to bars anymore... and never drove when i did.

Yes I'be be a little pissed if I was cut off and an public announcement was made.. though it's a two edged sword.. If I was hammered,, then i deserved to be called out....If I was not intoxicated, but just tripped over a coaster on the ground... then I'd be pissed...and just vote with me cash..Leave and tell others about my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back