Autosiphon haters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip1993

Reaction score
For the auto siphon haters. Gently slip a a 1/2" block of wood under one side of the carbuoy and siphon from the low side. You'll get all the beer worth having, and the autosiphon won't wiggle.

On my next ferment, I'm going to try putting a 1/2" block under one side of the carbuoy while fermenting. Most of the yeast will settle to the other side. When I siphon, I'll move the block to the yeast side and siphon from the low side.

Poor man's conical. lol. put a spigot on the very bottom corner to harvest the yeast.

I do this too (propping it up) and it really helps to get (almost) every last drop.

cheezydemon said:
I do this too (propping it up) and it really helps to get (almost) every last drop.

Yeah the cheap Bastages like us need every drop. I prop mine up with the plastic botle opener, but it just never occured to me to ferment that way to begin with. I must be slipping in my old age.:mug:

boo boo said:
it just never occured to me to ferment that way to begin with. I must be slipping in my old age.:mug:

Funny, it didn't occur to me either until I was typing this thread.

As for getting every last drop, that's actually a problem for me. I brew 5.5's, and I have to leave about 1" (flat)or the cornie is over full. I just like to tip it because it keeps the autosiphon in one spot so the first yeast that gets stirred is all that siphons.

A roll of electrical tape works well too. (there just happens to be one near my racking location)

I like to use tools like wire brushes, hammers, pipe wrenches. In fact, as I get older this is the only thing I want to use those tools for.

pldoolittle said:
As for getting every last drop, that's actually a problem for me. I brew 5.5's, and I have to leave about 1" (flat)or the cornie is over full. quote]

I brew 23 litres which usually works out to a full corney and part of a 2 litre PET bottle before any sediment comes through. I carb the 2 litre with my carbonater cap and drink it, usually the same day.

Recently a brewing buddy gave me a super siphon. Now I had told him that I didn't want one as my auto siphon works fine, but he sent it anyway.
Upon looking at it I see that it will transfer beer very quick but it looks like it will pick up a lot of sediment doing so unless you don't put it all the way to the bottom.
Also the metal part on the bottom looks like it could break a carboy if it contacts the glass bottom when shaking it up and down to start the siphon.

I'll be sending it back with a thanks but no thanks note.

Gammon N Beer said:
I like to use tools like wire brushes, hammers, pipe wrenches. In fact, as I get older this is the only thing I want to use those tools for.

Ha! Years ago I was racking my beer into a bucket secondary and wanted to adjust the tilt on my primary while I was racking. SPLASH!!!! I bumped the hammer I was using as a prop and knocked it into the almost-full bucket of beer below! Without thinking, I reached in with my unsanitized arm and pulled it out. The beer was none the worse for wear, but it was hard to RDWHAH with that one!

Latest posts

Back