What replaced the Sanyo 4912 Mini Fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum but I was wondering what the best mini fridge is these days to convert to a kegerator? I read that the Sanyo 4912 was the best fridge to convert, however they have been discontinued. What make and model is the best fridge for this project? I need something that will hold two five gallon kegs and a 5# CO2 bottle. Thanks!

Igloo 4.6 FR465 is one that fits two kegs and a co2 tank. There is a thread under the kegging section that mentions this fridge as well as several others that work well as replacements. I use the Igloo one as a fermentation chamber and it easily fits two kegs and a co2 tank.

Igloo 4.6 FR465 is one that fits two kegs and a co2 tank. There is a thread under the kegging section that mentions this fridge as well as several others that work well as replacements. I use the Igloo one as a fermentation chamber and it easily fits two kegs and a co2 tank.

Awesome ill check it out. How much did you pick it up for?

I had the Sanyo,dont know what makes it better.But It worked.Check the reviews on the Igloo on Amazon...Not so flatering

I had the Sanyo,dont know what makes it better.But It worked.Check the reviews on the Igloo on Amazon...Not so flatering

Looking at the Danby from Homedepot. Costco also has one for $360. Nice thing is that it's already a kegerator, no notifications needed other than gas and fluid lines.

The Igloo FR465 will not fit 2 pin lock kegs without some serious modification. My thread is somewhere on here, but I had to cut out a big chunk from the rear shelf, cut away the shelf holders on the sides, insert a metal plate, then back fill with great stuff using a keg as a form. Then I cleaned it all up and cut away the foam from the compressor and covered it with reflective aluminum tape. Also had to take the plastic lining out of the door and add some clips to keep the door shut, but it works.

I went with the igloo because it was cheap and I wouldn't be too ticked off it it crapped out. I'd get a more reliable fridge now that I know what to do to make the kegs fit.

The Igloo FR465 will not fit 2 pin lock kegs without some serious modification. My thread is somewhere on here, but I had to cut out a big chunk from the rear shelf, cut away the shelf holders on the sides, insert a metal plate, then back fill with great stuff using a keg as a form. Then I cleaned it all up and cut away the foam from the compressor and covered it with reflective aluminum tape. Also had to take the plastic lining out of the door and add some clips to keep the door shut, but it works.

I went with the igloo because it was cheap and I wouldn't be too ticked off it it crapped out. I'd get a more reliable fridge now that I know what to do to make the kegs fit.
Now I know why the Sanyo was nice..and the first guy to look at it bought it,I drilled a hole and was done.Even with the door shelves it fit 2 cornys.To the OP,store bought will get you cheap faucets and potentially a warm tower(foamy beer)Do a little homework and build one

I've got an Igloo FR464 from Walmart for about $120 on sale. The freezer is removable, so no lines to bend. To fit two kegs, ball or pin, it will need the plastic rails for the shelves trimmed off. The door shelves come off with screws, no glue. I replaced the inside door panel with a cut down piece of whiteboard to help hold the doorseal better, but it was ok without. The thermostat housing needs to be moved back, but there is just one screw holding it. I've got a 6ish gallon bucket and airlock sitting on the hump, and it just fits.

UPDATE: I double checked for pictures, and without adding a collar or cutting the hump, only one pin-lock can fit in the FR464 at a time, or two ball-lock, and not one of each. Either way still leaves the hump available for CO2 tank.

I've got an Igloo FR464 from Walmart for about $120 on sale. The freezer is removable, so no lines to bend. To fit two kegs, ball or pin, it will need the plastic rails for the shelves trimmed off. The door shelves come off with screws, no glue. I replaced the inside door panel with a cut down piece of whiteboard to help hold the doorseal better, but it was ok without. The thermostat housing needs to be moved back, but there is just one screw holding it. I've got a 6.5 gallon bucket and airlock sitting on the hump, and it just fits.

What about two kegs and 5# CO2 bottle?

With 2 kegs, i can fit my 5lb and reg on the hump no problem. A 5.5 or 6 gallon bucket from my LHBS with an airlock will fit on the hump with less than an inch of room on top, but needs to be supported so it doesn't tilt forward. A 7.9 gallon bucket from Austin Homebrew fits well, and is actually shorter than the 5.5. The whiteboard I used inside the door is a little thicker than the original shelving panel, but the screws have enough thread to grip tight. I built a mini paint can heater out of 8oz paint can, a candelabra size socket (old christmas light size), and a 7watt bulb. That is enough to keep the fridge between 19.0C and 19.5C with 16C ambient. I started with a 15watt bulb, but the can gets too hot to hold and I was afraid it could melt the plastic it sits on. I'll be adding a fan to the base of the heater to dissipate heat quicker.

I'll send you pics later of different configurations.

Back