Drilling Keggles??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcmillen

Reaction score
I'm having a lot of trouble drilling my 13/16" holes with the Harbor Freight step bits on my 3 keggles. I'm only getting a couple of holes before the bits give out at the last 2 steps. I'm using a drill press at low speeds (500 - 1500 rpm) and oiling and gone through 2 bits already. I'm going very slow and making sure I don't overheat the bit or ss. I keep reading about people that don't have any trouble, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. This is very frustrating. These bits are titanium nitride coated. I am thinking about trying a Rock River or Lenox step bit that is steam oxide coated but they are $50 to $100+.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

David

happens to me too. Best bet is to use a heavy drill motor, slow steady pace, lots of oil. Stainless steel will work harden quickly from the heat generated during drilling. drilling too fast will make it worse

This is very frustrating. These bits are titanium nitride coated. I am thinking about trying a Rock River or Lenox step bit that is steam oxide coated but they are $50 to $100+.

David

Buy a Quality set you will not regret it....

This is the one I used. I drill a pilot hole and with a hand drill I use lots of pressure and oil at slow speed... never a problem.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/310325860563?_lwgsi=y<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
13/16" is the step below 7/8" and I clean the hole from the inside using the same drill. Go slow and if the bit catches release the trigger and make sure the drill is straight and clean up the burr. It is easier than what I make it sound.

drilling speed for stainless should be around 200rpm. you are going several times too fast and just burning up your bits.

you can also try keeping the area and cutting tool cool with cutting fluid, or just a simple trickle of water from the garden hose. WD40 or light oil works if nothing better is around. i normally just use water and can cut several dozen holes with the same bit.

go slower, and you'll be golden! the $10 bits at harbor freight are all you need to drill the 5-10 holes you've gotta do. why the heck would anybody spend $50-$100 on a drill bit to do a one time job? hmmm..i think i'll go buy a backhoe to plant a my daisies..

It's all user error if you have trouble with import cheap step bits. They are not life long additions to your tool arsenal but they work absolutely fine for 10 holes or so. If you spin the bits without seeing a ribbon of metal getting cut constantly, you've already work hardened the stainless and a $100 bit isn't going to do much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the harbor freight bits and good cutting oil.
Drill presses turn too fast. You should use a hand held variable drill and take it slow. It should chew right thru the keg wall.

Step bit and slow, apply cutting oil at every step. Go fast and overheat the bit and stainless and you will be swearing. Heating up the stainless makes it harder. I've done a dozen holes with same Harbor Freight step bit and good cutting oil. Harbor Freight sells cutting oil too. A punch would be sweet but kegs are stainless and too thick. Punches are best for stock pots like Polarware, Vollrath, Bayou Classic and Blichmann.

If I recall correctly, instead of the cutting oil I had a couple of ice cubes handy. No problems in fact I was surprised how easy it was.

Home cheapo hole saw. 8 holes and counting. No Complaints if it breaks on the next cut.

Thats what I have used for quite a few. I have read that many people have problems with the step bits. The metal hole saws take maybe a minute per hole.

kevin509 said:
Punches are best for stock pots like Polarware, Vollrath, Bayou Classic and Blichmann.

Not true on the punches. I have a set of greenlee punches and I just punched 15 holes for the fittings in my new 3 keggle system that I am building and they are just as sharp as the day I bought them. They are the best thing to use in my opinion.

I had a helluva time with a cheapo step bit, but I was also using olive oil because the folks at Home Depot seemed to have no idea what I was talking about when I asked where I might find cutting oil... Picked up an Irwin step bit and some actual thread cutting oil from Lowe's (they seem to have much more knowledgeable folks there) and it cut like butter.

HF bits are cheap crap. I used a brand name and had no trouble with thread cutting oil and a variable speed drill as slow as it would go. You almost can't go slow enough though. If the edge of the hole gets hot for even a second you got to grind through it or use a carbide bit to drill past the part that got work hardened before the step bit will cut again.

I'm having a lot of trouble drilling my 13/16" holes with the Harbor Freight step bits on my 3 keggles. I'm only getting a couple of holes before the bits give out at the last 2 steps. I'm using a drill press at low speeds (500 - 1500 rpm) and oiling and gone through 2 bits already. I'm going very slow and making sure I don't overheat the bit or ss. I keep reading about people that don't have any trouble, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. This is very frustrating. These bits are titanium nitride coated. I am thinking about trying a Rock River or Lenox step bit that is steam oxide coated but they are $50 to $100+.

David

If you aren't doing a ton of holes, say just a system for yourself the cheap bits will get the job done. Yes Irvin bits are better but the cost difference can be better spent on the system or grain for a batch in my opinion.

I feel like I should probably get a keg and perforate the thing with a two dozen holes using the cheap Chinese import bits that I sell just to prove a point. Then I'd like to see someone take a $55 Greenlee bit and spin that thing at 600 RPM on an under-torqued drill and see how fast they work harden the stainless. Bottom line, technique and appropriate low-speed, high -torque drill motor is the most important thing. The bit purchase is more about longevity than anything else.

i have to agree with bobby. i had a very hard time on my first keg, after that i went to a 1/2" variable speed drill. One that i could turn the dial down and run it real slow. I use thread cutting oil. Use lots of pressure. My harbor freight bits have cut several holes since changing the drill and they cut quick.

I have used a Harbor Freight bit on at least 6 pots without any problems. Heat is what kills them so go slow and keep it cool.

Instead of oil I run water over the bit while I drill and it is still as good as new.

I have a set of cheap china harbor freight bits I have used at least 50 times to cut holes in kegs, heavy plate steel, thin stock, plastic, and even thin wood with with no issue. Still work like a champ and cut like they did out of the box. As the others said dial back the speed and when cutting metal use a bit of lube :) Slowing down and using lube makes lots of things better ;)

Back