American IPA Green Flash IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhughes

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs WLP001 California Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
90 ish
Color
Medium Gold
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 weeks
Tasting Notes
Great Floural Aroma, hop bitterness that smacks your lips upon contact.
I used a recipe off northern brewer as the base of this recipe. This was only my 4th batch, all of which have been IPA's, and this was by far my best. Even with all the hops used in this recipe, I still don't think it quite matched the bitterness and hop aroma from the actual Green Flash IPA from the tap, but I feel my beer actually turned out to be more drinkable (I would say the hoppiness is toned down just enough to where it isn't like a double IPA which I believe the Green Flash IPA to be very close to).

Here is the basic recipe I used:

Grain:
9.9 lbs of Light LME in a full boil starting with about 6.5 gallons of water. (This is the amount I always use for my IPA's since they come in 3.3lb bags)

Specialty Grains: Steeped at 160 degrees for about 30 minutes.
1 lb - 40L Crystal Malt
.5 lb - 120L Crystal Malt
.5 lb - Vienna Malt
(This is just a combination I had left over, you could take out the 120L for a lighter colored beer).

Hops:
0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 24.5 90 min.
0.25 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 13.1 60 min.
0.25 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 11.1 60 min.
0.25 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 6.7 30 min.
0.25 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 5.7 30 min.
0.75 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 10.5 15 min.
0.75 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 8.9 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 4.3 10 min.
0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 4.4 1 min.
0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 3.7 1 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Pellet 7.50 0.0 Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 0.0 Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 0.0 Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 0.0 Dry Hop

Note: I tweaked this a bit for the actual brew as I did not use the Amarillo in the dry hop addition, but substitued it with some left over simcoe.

I let this ferment for about 3 weeks, then added dry hops for another week (did not use a secondary).

Would love to see anyone else's variations or recommendations for this clone. I will definitely be brewing this again soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yours looks right on target. Here is the clone recipe straight from Chuck Silva and discussed on Can You Brew It?:

Green Flash Co.: West Coast IPA

6 Gal. batch
OG: 1.069
FG: 1.013-1.014
SRM: 8.8
IBU: ~93

14# American Two Row
1.31# British Carastan 30-37
1.31# CaraPils

0.5oz Simcoe @ 90min
0.5oz Columbus @ 90 min (optional)
0.25oz Simcoe @ 60min
0.25oz Columbus @ 60min
0.25oz Simcoe @ 30min
0.25oz Columbus @ 30min
0.75oz Simcoe @ 15min
0.75oz Columbus @ 15min
1oz Cascade @ 10min
0.5oz Simcoe @ Flameout
0.5oz Columbus @ Flameout

0.5oz of each: Amarillo, Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial, Cascade for Dry Hop

Mash Temp: 152F, Boil Time 90min

Yeast : WY1056 or WLP001
Ferment Temp: 68F -> 72F

Funny this recipe should show up on HBT. Just transferred my batch from primary to secondary after 5 days of dry hopping. Total of 2 weeks in primary. Tasted great from the gravity sample. Haven't been able to find the commercial version of this, but I was going for a very hoppy beer along the lines of "Hop Slam" made by Bell's Brewing.

It will be in the secondary for one more week before transferring to the keg. Hopefully I'll have this on tap and ready to go by our 4th of July party this year. If the sample from the hydro test is any indication of the finished product, I will be one happy camper.

To all of you reading this recipe, you may be thinking this is an insane amount of hops. In total, I believe this batch costed right around $60.00 with all of the grains and hops (excluding yeast, used washed WLP001). Well worth the time, money, and effort to make this batch. Hats off to the guys over at the BN!

"Would love to see anyone else's variations or recommendations for this clone."

For your extract recipe, I would replace some of the LME with corn sugar to get it to finish closer to 1.014. Maybe try a half pound next time either added at flameout or at the end of fermentation. If you add it at the end of fermentation, add it to boiling water first at a 3/4 cup per pound of corn sugar ratio. It will make it slightly hoppier without using more hops.

"Would love to see anyone else's variations or recommendations for this clone."

For your extract recipe, I would replace some of the LME with corn sugar to get it to finish closer to 1.014. Maybe try a half pound next time either added at flameout or at the end of fermentation. If you add it at the end of fermentation, add it to boiling water first at a 3/4 cup per pound of corn sugar ratio. It will make it slightly hoppier without using more hops.

That sounds interesting. If I added the corn sugar at flameout, should I reduce the LME by the same amount of corn sugar I am adding?

Also, I've tried dry hopping maybe 3 times so far, and for this batch I used 2 ounces of hops, letting them sit for about 7 days after the batch had fermented for 3 weeks. However, it still didn't seem to have that same powerful aroma as the real Greenflash IPA from the tap. Should I use more hops next time dry hopping, or try using something other then hop pellets (plugs), or let them sit in the batch longer?

I just did a 5 gal partial mash version as follows:

7 lbs LME
1.5 lb Crystal 40L
1.5 lb Pale Malt(2-row)
0.5 lb corn sugar
Safale US-05
1 oz. Columbus Pellet 60 min.
1 oz. Simcoe Pellet 60 min.
0.25 oz. Columbus Pellet 30 min.
0.25 oz. Simcoe Pellet 30 min.
0.75 oz. Columbus Pellet 15 min.
0.75 oz. Simcoe Pellet 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 10 min.
0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 1 min.
0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet 1 min.

0.50 oz. Amarillo Pellet Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet Dry Hop (sub Cascade)
0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet Dry Hop

I mashed at 155 for 45 min, sparged at 170 for 10 min, did a 60 instead of 90 min boil, increased the 60 min addition to compensate (also the podcast said to increase early additions to increase bitterness, so added Columbus), added the corn sugar at flameout. My brew kettle is only 4 gal, so had to top off to reach 5 gal, O.G. 1.072. Total cost for ingredients: $37 (morebeer and hopsdirect). I'll let you know how it turns out.

Tastes pretty close to the real thing.
jDtE3l.jpg

Hi;

Can I ask what ambient temperature this was at in primary, and whether you saw much CO2/bubbler activity after the 7th day?

Also, did you check the gravity after a week, and what was it?

I'm trying to "debug" my brewing processes.

Thanks!

My basement is fairly cool in the summer, so I don't use any temperature control, as a result, it ferments around 70 deg. I know that's a bit on the warm side. I brewed on 7/28, the gravity was 1.072. I took a sample/dry hopped on 8/8 (11 days), gravity was 1.017. I have only brewed with Safale 05 a few times, but every time it seems to work through the wort in about 3 days, and then dies down.

how long do you leave them in the bottle afterwards?

(sorry but I am trying to track down the cause of a certain diacetyl problem I'm having and thusfar your technique is identical to mine :D)

Usually 3 weeks, but I usually sample a bottle at 1 week, and by 2 weeks, they tend to be carbed. That photo was taken on 9/1, only 2 weeks after bottling. I thought that I might have had a little diacetyl problem on an earlier batch but it was probably just green, because it seemed to go away with some aging.

No problem.

I'm still pretty new at this, so I can't say for sure if I really was detecting diacetyl, but I don't recall it in this batch, just in batch #5, which was Midwest's Hop Head IPA.

So I am Brand new at home brewing. I am a true hop head and am trying my hand at brewing some home batch's. I found the green flash west coast clone recipe on this forum so many have brewed it and talked about how great this turned out. If Anyone out there can give me some steps in brewing this recipe that would be great. I have all the supplies and equipment i just need some know how on running the wort in the fermentation and dry hop period. This is my first time i don't expect it to be great but i want to get a good start i just need help with the steps! Thanks for your input.

Dumb question but do you mash the specialty grains first and then after that is done, bring it back to a boil and add in the LME, etc...?

Ok so to clarify I don't need to boil first and then cool to 155 for the mashing? This makes sense bc once it's boiled it would kill anything that could have potentially got in there from the mashing? Correct? Thanks again for the response (s)

Right. You only need to boil if you're adding stuff to the already sanitized wort such as water for priming sugar in the bottling bucket.

間違えた…

^ What a weird note for this thread to end on. Anyways, I am planning on doing a 10 gal AG brew of this, any final tweaks from the guys who have brewed it already? I think I am going to use S-05 for the sake of simplicity.

Hi, long time listener, first time caller, haha. Nothing to add here, just chiming in to say that I plan on doing this beer this weekend for my second-ever batch. I did an extract brown ale from my LHBS, and it was great, but I want to step up to something that's not quite so generic. I can't wait to try this out, and once I'm bottled up in a few weeks I'll have to let you know how it turns out!

Old thread but great beer. I'm halfway through drinking this batch and I really love this recipe. I changed the bittering addition to enough Magnum to equal the IBU and the 30 min additions slightly as well. Wasn't enough for me to add the additional 30 min boil. Came out great. I need to brew another as its almost gone already. :mug:

Can anyone recommend a substitution for the Columbus hops? It looks like my local brew shop has everything except those, and was planning on starting this brew this weekend!

Can anyone recommend a substitution for the Columbus hops? It looks like my local brew shop has everything except those, and was planning on starting this brew this weekend!

In the absence of any feedback, I'm going with Chinook because... why not? Will post the results here!

Brewing this one up right now but using 2lb of 40L and Briess Golden Light DME. Don't have any Amarillo or Centennial for the dry hop so if I forget to get some, I'll add in 0.5oz of Cascade instead.

Hoping to end up with the West Coast style IPA but lighter in colour.

I used a recipe off northern brewer as the base of this recipe. This was only my 4th batch, all of which have been IPA's, and this was by far my best. Even with all the hops used in this recipe, I still don't think it quite matched the bitterness and hop aroma from the actual Green Flash IPA from the tap, but I feel my beer actually turned out to be more drinkable (I would say the hoppiness is toned down just enough to where it isn't like a double IPA which I believe the Green Flash IPA to be very close to).

Here is the basic recipe I used:

Grain:
9.9 lbs of Light LME in a full boil starting with about 6.5 gallons of water. (This is the amount I always use for my IPA's since they come in 3.3lb bags)

Specialty Grains: Steeped at 160 degrees for about 30 minutes.
1 lb - 40L Crystal Malt
.5 lb - 120L Crystal Malt
.5 lb - Vienna Malt
(This is just a combination I had left over, you could take out the 120L for a lighter colored beer).

Hops:
0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 24.5 90 min.
0.25 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 13.1 60 min.
0.25 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 11.1 60 min.
0.25 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 6.7 30 min.
0.25 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 5.7 30 min.
0.75 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 10.5 15 min.
0.75 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 8.9 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 4.3 10 min.
0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 4.4 1 min.
0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 3.7 1 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Pellet 7.50 0.0 Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 0.0 Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 0.0 Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 0.0 Dry Hop

Note: I tweaked this a bit for the actual brew as I did not use the Amarillo in the dry hop addition, but substitued it with some left over simcoe.

I let this ferment for about 3 weeks, then added dry hops for another week (did not use a secondary).

Would love to see anyone else's variations or recommendations for this clone. I will definitely be brewing this again soon.

Would this recipe be good with Cara Pills, Crystal, and marris otter, grains steeped forlike 15 or 20 minutes?

Back