American Wheat Beer Orange American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Newbeerguy your recipe is officially a hit. We emptied the keg on Sunday, and I have grain for a 5.75 gal batch coming this week.

Well, Newbeerguy your recipe is officially a hit. We emptied the keg on Sunday, and I have grain for a 5.75 gal batch coming this week.

Right on! Glad it was well received. As soon as I finish my brew stand/pump plumbing, I am going to be brewing this one up again. I've been getting multiple requests from family and friends for it, so I got to get to brewin'

Newbeerguy said:
Awesome! How did the brew session go?

Missed my strike temp by 3-4. So, I mashed at 150ish. But all else went well. It's bubbling away.

Today's the day for a 6 gal brew of my new favorite beer!

Lucky! I have to wait until the weather gets a little better here first. I've been itchin' to brew....just got my new gear and finished up with my brewstand. Might just say screw it and brew tomorrow anyways!

Off topic - Just read through your eBIAB build and that is one sweet setup you got going on there. :rockin:

Thanks. Even though the weather here isn't terrible, the wind would keep me from brewing today if I was on propane.

I am heating the strike water as I type this. :mug:

What are your thoughts about adding coriander to the recipe? I've got some around and always see them included in wheat beers. I'm also using US-06 Belgian wheat yeast

Thanks

What are your thoughts about adding coriander to the recipe? I've got some around and always see them included in wheat beers. I'm also using US-06 Belgian wheat yeast

Thanks

I think it will work out well, especially with the Belgian yeast. Actually in my early stages of formulating this recipe I had a variation that included some coriander.

Obviously it won't be an American wheat anymore but a nice Belgian Wit none the less.

I say try it and posts the results :mug:

Did you add the orange zest strictly to the end of the boil? or did you also add it to the primary?

thanks for any help! going to be brewing this one up in a few days...

Did you add the orange zest strictly to the end of the boil? or did you also add it to the primary?

thanks for any help! going to be brewing this one up in a few days...

I add the zest only in the boil (last 5 minutes). I do this to make sure the peels are sanitized. I am sure it would be ok to add at flameout, but I just feel better throwing them in the boil for a few minutes. Cheers!

i tried this recipe out, it turned out well but was a bit darker than i wanted and didn't quite have the orange flavor i wanted. was thinking about using coriander with it next time. thoughts?

i tried this recipe out, it turned out well but was a bit darker than i wanted and didn't quite have the orange flavor i wanted. was thinking about using coriander with it next time. thoughts?

I think the coriander will pair well in this recipe. I am a bit surprised that your batch came out too dark for you. Did you use regular Munich malt (10 lovibond) or a darker Munich (20 lovibond)?

I really appreciate the feedback and would like to know what type of orange flavor you were looking for. Like Blue Moon or Shock Top?

What about adding 1 lb of orange blossom honey at flameout? Would that be good?

What about adding 1 lb of orange blossom honey at flameout? Would that be good?

Depends on what you are trying to do with it. It will increase the ABV to about 6.5% and dry the finish out a tad. You may get some flavor out of it, but I don't think you will get alot. I feel any honey flavor will just be masked by the oranges.

Newbeerguy said:
Depends on what you are trying to do with it. It will increase the ABV to about 6.5% and dry the finish out a tad. You may get some flavor out of it, but I don't think you will get alot. I feel any honey flavor will just be masked by the oranges.

I only get about 70% efficiency from my setup. So it should put it right in line. Then what do you recommend upping to get my Abv up? More wheat?

I only get about 70% efficiency from my setup. So it should put it right in line. Then what do you recommend upping to get my Abv up? More wheat?

Personally, I'd do 1/2 pound of wheat and 2-row to get the abv up. Honey will work out fine, but it may dry the beer out a tad. Either way it will work out good. :mug:

I just tapped the 2nd keg of this. I upped the orange (zest of 6) this time per Wifes request.

It's perfect. Only 1-1/2 more weeks and I'll be brewing it again to keep a pipeline up for the summer. :mug:

Oh yeah, and for some reason this batch went down to 1.007. Nice little ABV boost. Not dry either.

What would the outcome be with saaz at the end and hallertauer at the beginning of the boil? I love saaz hops for aroma.

image-1255548668.jpg

Thanks again for the recipe! This will be a great summer beer. It's been in the keg for about 4 weeks and just gets better and better.

I just tapped the 2nd keg of this. I upped the orange (zest of 6) this time per Wifes request.

It's perfect. Only 1-1/2 more weeks and I'll be brewing it again to keep a pipeline up for the summer. :mug:

Oh yeah, and for some reason this batch went down to 1.007. Nice little ABV boost. Not dry either.

Awesome! I am glad you both enjoy it. I really appreciate all the positive feedback :D

I know I can't wait till Sunday.....gonna be brewing this up again :mug:

is that extract recipe for a 10 gallon batch or a 5 gallon batch? seems like a lot of malt for 5.....

is that extract recipe for a 10 gallon batch or a 5 gallon batch? seems like a lot of malt for 5.....

The extract conversion is for a 5 gallon batch. You would use either the dry or the liquid malt extract, not both.

If you were going to use liquid Wheat extract you'd use 7.5lbs
If you were going to use dry Wheat extract you'd use 6lbs

Well, I am embarrassed to say that I just had to order more ingredients in order to brew this again next weekend.

For some reason working in the yard and hanging around the pool on St. Patricks weekend, 5 gallons of this just plain disappears. :drunk:

OAW.jpg

Well, I am embarrassed to say that I just had to order more ingredients in order to brew this again next weekend.

For some reason working in the yard and hanging around the pool on St. Patricks weekend, 5 gallons of this just plain disappears. :drunk:

Haha sounds like a good weekend then! :tank:

I brewed a batch of this up Sunday :rockin: and am already debating to brew another 5 gallons this weekend too. Been getting a bunch of requests from everyone to have it on tap. And when it's on tap, I seem to have the same disappearing problem as you. :confused:

I also think I am going to brew this up for a local homebrew contest this June. Winner gets thier recipe commercially produced by Thirsty Dog Brewing for a year.

I also think I am going to brew this up for a local homebrew contest this June. Winner gets thier recipe commercially produced by Thirsty Dog Brewing for a year.

Do it, that'd be awesome if your recipe won.

I have to make a confession. First time I made it I forgot to half the Munich and the Wheat (made a 2.5 gal test batch) So now when I make a 5 gal batch I use 1lb of each. I don't know how much that changes the flavor, but I can't bring myself to not do it. If you're adventurous try it next time and let me know if you notice any difference. Maybe I can save a dollar or two each batch going back to 1/2 lb. :D

Do it, that'd be awesome if your recipe won.

I have to make a confession. First time I made it I forgot to half the Munich and the Wheat (made a 2.5 gal test batch) So now when I make a 5 gal batch I use 1lb of each. I don't know how much that changes the flavor, but I can't bring myself to not do it. If you're adventurous try it next time and let me know if you notice any difference. Maybe I can save a dollar or two each batch going back to 1/2 lb. :D

I think I will try that on the next batch. I am always looking for ways to improve upon it. I'll let you know how it goes. If all goes well, I'll be brewing again this Sunday.

Brewed this yesterday, except I added more orange zest, and added 1 oz cascade at 5 min. It is bubbling away and upstairs smells wonderful, lots of orange aroma. Gravity was lower (1.049). Should be a great summer beer.

My friends ask all the time " when you gonna brew that again."

Brewed this yesterday, except I added more orange zest, and added 1 oz cascade at 5 min. It is bubbling away and upstairs smells wonderful, lots of orange aroma. Gravity was lower (1.049). Should be a great summer beer.

Sounds great! How much more zest did you use? For my latest batch I upped my zest to 2oz. Just to see how much more noticable it is. Keep us posted on the progress. :mug:

Back