Barley Mill roller material?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huaco

Reaction score
I have located in the scrap bin, (2) aprox. 16" long 1" or 1 1/2" diameter aluminum round bar that has already been knurled. If I plan to cut it down to (3) shorter pieces (to keep the span down) do you think aluminum would work? I want to make an adjustable (3) roller mill.

Yes you can buy roller mills with aluminum rollers. The knurl will wear off over time but probably last a homebrewer a lifetime!

Yes you can buy roller mills with aluminum rollers. The knurl will wear off over time but probably last a homebrewer a lifetime!

Considering how many people have allegedly had their steel Barley Crusher rollers lose their "bite" after milling merely hundreds of pounds of grain, it would have to be a really, really short life time...

Cheers!

From the first page of your link:

70 of 71 people found the following review helpful:

Aluminum Rollers? Dumb! Dumb! Dumb!,
October 16, 2009
By Whole Foods Junkie (Arlington, VA USA)

The current version of this mill has aluminum rollers. Prior versions of this mill from the same manufacturer had steel rollers. Putting aluminum rollers on a grain mill is dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb!

As someone who cares enough about whole foods to buy and regularly use a grain mill, I want something that will stand up over time and something that won't add undesirable byproducts to my food. With aluminum rollers, this mill won't meet either of these criteria. Aluminum is a soft metal. Grain kernels are hard -- including oats. Aluminum rollers will take a beating over time. More importantly, I don't want microscopic bits of aluminum in my food.

I think the change from steel to aluminum was made fairly recently. Prior reviewers may well have mills with steel rollers. It's hard to imagine why the manufacturer decided that such a change was a good idea, particularly when most likely purchasers of the product are extremely health-conscious. I don't like to write 1-star reviews, but in its current design, this mill is just not suitable for use.

I've sent it back, very disappointed. I'm going to try the Schnitzer Campo mill (not yet available on Amazon) and see if that works out better.

So you're ok with advising this guy to take the time and expense to design an entire mill around what might be a 1" diameter piece of an unknown grade of aluminum with an unknown knurl pitch without asking questions first? :rolleyes:

Sure, go for it.

You guys are way to fanatical sometimes. It won't last, it would be a fun project, and when the rollers wear, see if someone like crankenstein will let you purchase some steel ones.

You guys are way to fanatical sometimes. It won't last, it would be a fun project, and when the rollers wear, see if someone like crankenstein will let you purchase some steel ones.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Plus, if it's well designed, he could easily swap the rollers at a later date (even if the diameters differ).

. . . and when the rollers wear, see if someone like crankenstein will let you purchase some steel ones.
It's not about fanaticalism (is that a word :drunk:).

It's about being realistic. Practical.

Let's say this guy actually goes to all the trouble and expense of designing and building a mill around some random piece of scrap aluminum he finds in a junk yard. Do you really think in two months when the knurl is gone and he's made several batches of beer with aluminum chip in them, that the center distance and length will allow him to just slap in rollers from a Crankenstein?

He came here looking for practical advice, not a bunch of pom-pom waving, we’re all winners, cheerleaders.

Shouldn't we save the guy some time and aggravation and tell him it's a bad idea?

Yeah, I'm seriously :drunk::drunk::drunk:

had to add:

My Barley Crusher is pretty well designed.
Since the (steel) rollers are getting worn may be I should pull out the 1-1/2" one's and try ordering up some 2" one's from Crankenstein. All I have to do is make new end plates. Oh, the side plates are wrong too. And damn the hole in the base is wrong. Crap the shoot won't fit now . . .

Can't really reply to what's below without the wrath of the Mods, but damn (I really want to :cross:)

Good night.

I appreciate the ideas.
My plan is to build a mill around what I can find. This is 6061 aluminum. It has an aggressive enough knurl to grab onto really firm, but not so aggressive that it would tear you skin... make sense?
I think I will learn A LOT from building this mill, even if I just use it for a few brews... I can then take what I learned and properly design a mill in SolidWorks (which I operate daily) and get my machine shop that I work with to make me one out of SS!!! I just want to learn some lessons on "found" materials before junking up a bunch of SS!

That sounds like a plan to me. If you don't see it as a waste of time to build a rather disposable mill, and you learn something along the way, then it's a fine project.

I am with Yuri... there have been mills built here and otherwise out of aluminum...

I am working on one built out of an old bale spear, if i didn't have that and had scrap aluminum i would be making it out of that!

People also say that you cannot brew good beer using a corona style mill while others have been making GREAT beer with them for many years.

In fact today's batch came out a little high in OG so I guess it doesn't work!

I say give the opinion that it probably will not last as long as steel the let the OP make up his mind on whether it is worth the effort.

It's not about fanaticalism (is that a word :drunk:).

It's about being realistic. Practical.

Let's say this guy actually goes to all the trouble and expense of designing and building a mill around some random piece of scrap aluminum he finds in a junk yard. Do you really think in two months when the knurl is gone and he's made several batches of beer with aluminum chip in them, that the center distance and length will allow him to just slap in rollers from a Crankenstein?

He came here looking for practical advice, not a bunch of pom-pom waving, we’re all winners, cheerleaders.

Shouldn't we save the guy some time and aggravation and tell him it's a bad idea?

Yeah, I'm seriously :drunk::drunk::drunk:

had to add:

My Barley Crusher is pretty well designed.
Since the (steel) rollers are getting worn may be I should pull out the 1-1/2" one's and try ordering up some 2" one's from Crankenstein. All I have to do is make new end plates. Oh, the side plates are wrong too. And damn the hole in the base is wrong. Crap the shoot won't fit now . . .

Can't really reply to what's below without the wrath of the Mods, but damn (I really want to :cross:)

Good night.

I dunno about you, but if I had some aluminum stock that was already knurled, it would take me an afternoon, a six pack, and a decent set of tools to whip out an acceptable grain mill just from the scraps laying around in my garage. It would more than likely be able to accept new rollers, or be easily adapted to them. I see no aggravation, just satisfaction at having had built something (and learned a thing or two) instead of shelling out cash for someone else to do it.

Aluminum chips? God forbid he mash the grains that he mills with it, use said grains to filter the wort (thereby getting rid of the aluminum chips) and perhaps, just perhaps, uses an aluminum kettle. 99 problems...

I suppose we all ought to go out and buy Blinchman kettles cause it'll save us the aggravation of adding to a plain kettle, or modifying a keg.

Hell, while we're at it, lets just go buy beer instead of making it.

I dunno about you, but if I had some aluminum stock that was already knurled, it would take me an afternoon, a six pack, and a decent set of tools to whip out an acceptable grain mill just from the scraps laying around in my garage. It would more than likely be able to accept new rollers, or be easily adapted to them. I see no aggravation, just satisfaction at having had built something (and learned a thing or two) instead of shelling out cash for someone else to do it.

Aluminum chips? God forbid he mash the grains that he mills with it, use said grains to filter the wort (thereby getting rid of the aluminum chips) and perhaps, just perhaps, uses an aluminum kettle. 99 problems...

I suppose we all ought to go out and buy Blinchman kettles cause it'll save us the aggravation of adding to a plain kettle, or modifying a keg.

Hell, while we're at it, lets just go buy beer instead of making it.

I applaud your satire sir!

I appreciate the ideas.
My plan is to build a mill around what I can find. This is 6061 aluminum. It has an aggressive enough knurl to grab onto really firm, but not so aggressive that it would tear you skin... make sense?
I think I will learn A LOT from building this mill, even if I just use it for a few brews... I can then take what I learned and properly design a mill in SolidWorks (which I operate daily) and get my machine shop that I work with to make me one out of SS!!! I just want to learn some lessons on "found" materials before junking up a bunch of SS!

This project is full of win! Do it I would expect a few years of good service out of your new mill. Just remember to make up some steel rollers to replace them with before you quit the job :) I wish I had gotten into brewing before ending my days as a tool maker. All the materials and equipment I thought were useless to me before now hold a huge value.

Latest posts

Back