My basement is aound 62 degrees right now... too cool for fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpar345

Reaction score
If so I'll need to come up with plan B quickly, my kit arrives today and I really don't have any other place to do it. The rest of the house stays around 72 degrees.

That is the perfect temp for many ales. Depends on the yeast but I usually prefer to ferment on the low end of the recommended temp range for the yeast.

What type of beer? if you put the fermenter on some cardboard/wood/carpet, it will stay a bit warmer.

62 degrees is ale yeast heaven.

Keep in mind though that ferm. temps are higher than air temps.

If you have a large tub (like one you can buy for approx. $8 at Lowes), fill it up with water and place your carboy in there. That will keep the ferm. temp around 62 degrees.

Brown Ale, specifically a Moose Drool clone from Austin. I didn't think it was too cool since it warms up a bit in the fermenter, just wanted to make sure before I start the process. We just bought a metal rack that holds all my brewing equipment, it'll probably go on there.

Brown Ale, specifically a Moose Drool clone from Austin. I didn't think it was too cool since it warms up a bit in the fermenter, just wanted to make sure before I start the process. We just bought a metal rack that holds all my brewing equipment, it'll probably go on there.

Good idea- the basement floor will suck all the heat right out- it's like to be even colder than the airspace.

Keep it in the basement for the first 3 days of active fermentation, then when it's starting to slack off, move it to the 72F area.

Good call Bobby. I have the same temps in my basement. I typically move it to my upstairs closet where there is a heater vent and/or place a heavy snow jacket around the carboy to keep it warmer and better insulated.

Since no one has asked...what is the specific yeast strain. Some ale strains are good as low as 55F and some require something higher than your ambient temp.

That is about what my basement runs most of the year; you are among the most fortunate of mortals, as your entire basement represents a walk-in fermentation chamber.

It looks as if the bottom of the recommended range is 65F. You *might* be able to go lower, but 3* is quite a bit, especially with a high floc yeast like this one.

White Labs - WLP005

Yes, but fermentation is exothermic, so the beer will be 5 to 10 degrees warmer than ambient. My basement happens to be at 62 right now and I've got a stout bubbling away with the thermometer strip on the fermenter reading 66.

It is a concern, however, after the first few days. I'd take Bobby's advice and move it to somewhere warmer to keep the yeast active. Those British strains go to sleep pretty quickly in the cold.

That is about what my basement runs most of the year; you are among the most fortunate of mortals, as your entire basement represents a walk-in fermentation chamber.

It runs about 68 in the summertime. I guess I am fortunate, though it's a townhouse that I will only be for another year or so... then it's on to house hunting (with area for fermentation in mind) :D

My basement is approx the same temp as yours jpar. I keep the carboy in a tub o' water with an aquarium heater to maintain the temp. I usually put the tub on top of the black box in the picture, but moved it to the floor for the picture. Works great for me...

kolsch.jpg

My basement is now 62F and I am very glad. Just finished fermenting a batch of porter in about 4 days with S-04. Course it will stay in the fermenter for another couple weeks. I will not move any beer upstairs where it is 8 degrees warmer. I find that they condition in the bottle just fine in about 4 weeks - maybe sooner.

As a contrast my basement got up to 70F in the summer and had to use a evaporation cooler to get the temps down to 62.

Mike

So it's a week after pitching and the airlock is still. Should I now move it up to my 72 degree kitchen for the next few weeks or leave it be?

So it's a week after pitching and the airlock is still. Should I now move it up to my 72 degree kitchen for the next few weeks or leave it be?

Your choice... moving to the warmer temp. will allow the yeast to clean up faster, but I would just leave it where it's at for 2-3 more weeks and call it done.

My basement is approx the same temp as yours jpar. I keep the carboy in a tub o' water with an aquarium heater to maintain the temp. I usually put the tub on top of the black box in the picture, but moved it to the floor for the picture. Works great for me...

kolsch.jpg

What are you using for an aquarium heater, and what is the lowest temp it does? Mine does 68 at the lowest setting and I still feel its a tad high.

Edit: it looks like you have the same one as me. Aqueon?

Correct, it's an Aqueon I bought at PetCo and the lowest temp setting is 68 degrees. I'd rather it have lower temp settings too, but if I need temps lower than 68, I just unplug it and let the cellar air take over.

Back