Advice please.... pumpkin pale ale extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve45ca

Reaction score
i made a pumpkin pale extract and have a decision to make. I used 60 oz of pumpkin puree, spices and a pale ale extract as a base. It's fermented out but i have 4" of trub on the bottom. I expected a little more than normal however now I'm wondering if I should rack into another carboy and top it up up to the 5 gallon mark. I don't want to water it down but if I rack off what i have, I might get 40 bottles.

Whats everyones thoughts? I tried the brew before pitching the yeast after checking the gravity and it was sooo good other than being extra sweet which i fully expected.

I think what I should do is siphon off a bit, and taste it.... if it tastes fine maybe i should rack it into a bottling bucket and bottle as is and take the loss as part of the production. Thoughts?

Don't add any water to it. You've got the right idea. 40 great bottles of beer is better than 48 bottles of watered down beer. I don't think you need to rack to a secondary if you let it stay in the primary for 3-4 weeks before bottling.

+1 on not watering it down. i brewed the thunderstruck pumpkin ale as a 6 gallon batch and used fermcap s so it wouldn't blow off. I ended up with 52 bottles, which is two less than i normally get with 5 gallon batches. Had my first one last night and I'm not regretting the loss of that extra beer.

Latest posts

Back