Carboy Fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkinIrish

Reaction score
Today I accidentally pushed the plug all the way into my carboy and now it is stuck:cross:
my bad.
012.jpg

any one else ever done anything this stupid

Search youtube for something like "wine bottle cork bag trick", maybe someone has a link. It's pure genius. Remember that if it fit in it can come out.

I've done this and so have countless others. After cursing repeatedly I found the plastic bag trick. After you rack out of the carboy, push one end of a plastic bag into the neck and get the plug intertwined in it. You should be able to pull the bag out with the plug. Not sure if the bag needs to be damp, but mine was when I did it from the water I used to clean out the carboy. As previously mentioned, there are some videos demonstrating it.

Also, I can't help but say "that's what she said" to theredben's comment:

"Remember that if it fit in it can come out."

Yes, I'm juvenile.

wow I bet the bag thing would work didn't think of that. I was trying to use my racking cane through the blow off hole to get it up and out but it wasn't working well.

I've done this several times and have devised a good trick. you use one of those flexible extension grabbers:
image.axd

Tie the end of a 4' length of string to an 8d nail, drop the nail into the carboy and use the grabber tool to thread it through the bunghole, then pull the nail back out using the grabber tool. You now have the string running through the bunghole of the carboy stopper and both ends coming out the neck of the carboy. You may need a little soap or water to lubricate it it through the neck but that's how you get it out.

I have not yet performed this particular miracle of divided attention.
However, can I leave a placeholder here? When I do I will update :)

Back