Reusing/washing Yeast - is there an end?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I combined US-05 and S-04 in a batch of beer about 3 months ago. Since then I have harvested/washed the yeast from this batch 3 times. The yeast that developed from the 05 and 04 together has helped me create some of my best beers.

My question is how many times can continue to harvest/wash yeast from this first batch? I think I remember that it loses some of it's viability after 5 washings or so. But heck, I toss this stuff in a starter and it takes off in an hour usually.

As long as you attend to the yeast health, and are infection-free, you can go on indefinitely - Fermentis does this for a living.

I am so happy I almost shed a tear. Why would anyone purchase yeast except for to obtain a new strain?

Out of one yeast cake you can easily get enough yeast for another 5 batches of beer.

Now some would say to reuse yeast up to maybe six times. The thought is after awhile yeast may begin to adapt and change. I dunno. Maybe, maybe not.

Now some would say to reuse yeast up to maybe six times. The thought is after awhile yeast may begin to adapt and change. I dunno. Maybe, maybe not.

Adapt and change too what end? Isn't yeasts entire mission in life to feed on sugar and reproduce? Why would they adapt to not do this as efficiently? If anything I would think they would adapt to ferment barley based fermentables more efficiently!?

Yeast washing can be a pain in the neck sometimes when you're in a time crunch, but it really does payoff. If you don't decant your starters you'll have pretty much free yeast forever. Also, you get like 4 or 5 jars from one 5 gallon batch and it's easy to sniff for infection come starter day.

Of course changing styles, basement temp conditions and curiousity have kept me from developing a "house" yeast.

Yeast washing can be a pain in the neck sometimes when you're in a time crunch, but it really does payoff. If you don't decant your starters you'll have pretty much free yeast forever. Also, you get like 4 or 5 jars from one 5 gallon batch and it's easy to sniff for infection come starter day.

Of course changing styles, basement temp conditions and curiousity have kept me from developing a "house" yeast.

I think the yeast that I am washing/harvesting has become my house yeast...it is exactly what it sounds like..a cross between S-04 and US-05....very all purpose wtih good attenuation and floculation....nice for IPA's, Bitters and Stouts. I currently have 10 jars of washed yeast just waiting to be pitched into starters. I love it.

I am currently trying to develop a highly attenuating, highly flocculant yeast that will be a combo of S-04 and Nottingham Ale....trying it on a nutbrown tomorow.

If you give those yeast enough time, they'll grow legs and walk right out of the carboy, or that's what Charles Darwin said... :)

I've thought of the S-04 and S-05 combo. I love WLP051 and thought combining the two dry yeast I might come up with something close. What kind of attenuation do you get?

this may sound like a stupid question and I am sure I could google it..but what is yeast slanting?

man that is a great idea...basically mass producing your yeast strain..it is a great idea and I may have to give it a shot. I love this strain...I have a bunch of washed jars saved but slanting appears to be the ultimate solution

I've thought of the S-04 and S-05 combo. I love WLP051 and thought combining the two dry yeast I might come up with something close. What kind of attenuation do you get?

As long as you keep the temperature above about 64 degrees you can expect fantastic results. I have gotten apparent attenuation approaching 82% wen I keep the temp at around 70. I think that is very good.

I find that US-05 is a very good, but subdued all purpose yeast, while S-04 has that nice english twang...might was well make a combo

Back