Wine tastes wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasha

Reaction score
I have a kit wine on the go it's just come to the end of the second week.
Now I know it's not ment to taste good yet it's in 2nd stage fermenting
the reading is .990 it's is still bubbling slightly once every min or so
the pack says it should be time to add the ksulphate if it's stopped fermenting.
I think it could use a fue more days
I tasted a small amount but it has a realy bad twang.
Is this the yeast I'm tasting or something else.
Please give me your advice this is my 1st attempt.
As if you couldn't guess!

Wine taste wrong for months and months and even longer for some wines.

I'd say the ferment is done, though.

Air pressure and temperature changes. If it has been at 0.990 for 3-4 days, it's done fermenting.

It needs to de-gas. that's why it is bubbling still. It will taste funny until it de-gasses and the yeast settles out. Wine yeast doesn't taste that good. 3 days of steady sg (I do think at .099 its done fermenting too). Stabilize and de-gas. Wait a day and add fining if kit has them. Didn't this kit come with directions? The kits usually are pretty good at giving step by step

Yes it says wait till bubbling has stopped and the fermenting prosess will be finished then add k meta stir for 2mins then add ksorbate and mix then add fining agent mix then leave for 14 days?

stirring for 2 minutes if done hard enough and under warm conditions(70+) would have degassed the wine. Some kits say they won't clear if not de-gas correctly, Leave air lock on top off and let the wine set. patience( ya favorite answer)

stirring for 2 minutes if done hard enough and under warm conditions(70+) would have degassed the wine. Some kits say they won't clear if not de-gas correctly, Leave air lock on top off and let the wine set. patience( ya favorite answer)

So add the kmeta then the ksulphate wait with air lock for a day before finings? Or put them in like they say. Tnx

you will need to de-gas. I take the air lock out of bung plug, hold thumb over hole and shake the **** out out. Release gas(CO2) with thumb. I do this till I cant hear or feel co2 coming out any more. Make sure wine isnt cool or it will not de-gas properly.

FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!! If this is your first kit wine and it came with instructions and it is from a reputable manufacturer, your wine will turn out very well. If you stray from the instructions, the results can not be gaurenteed.

I have mad many, many kits and have neveer had one turn out bad.

Patience, Patience, Patience. If you are a home brewer, you should already have this ability.

FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!

Salute! :mug:

Yep, just follow those instructions for now and give it time.
Only thing I would add is when you get to the degas part, don't be afraid to really shake it up. I'm a brewer first and a vinter next and shaking brews is a big no-no. Kinda made me hesitant on my wine. These days, I run a whip off my hammer drill for de-gas time.

Even then, with enough time the twang will start to go away.

page 2 ownage

I'll second the "don't be afraid to really shake it up" advice. I followed the directions for my first kit to a T, and was surprised to find my first bottle was slightly fizzy (although it's improving with age). Maybe it's just because I'm a wussy little girl, but 2 minutes of hard stirring/rocking on an uneven floor wasn't nearly enough agitation.

mmadmikes - how the hell do you put your thumb over the hole of a 23 L carboy and shake it up? I can't even put my thumb over the hole of a normal beer bottle, let alone shake up fifty-odd pounds of glass and beer.

Back