Transplanting Hops; New Trellis - Pics!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Last year, I planted 5 rhizomes under a trellis on the north end of our property---but once the dogwood above it leafed up, it got no sun. The vines did fine, but maybe 3 cones total (part of that was that it was first season, I know). So this year, I decided to make a trellis on the south side of our house where our veg garden is. It gets full exposure and the house is painted white, so it reflects even more sunlight back onto the plants. So I installed 2 eye-hooks on the gable end ("rake"), which is 2 stories above the ground at that point. I then strung 3 twine lines from each hook and attached them to the ground with landscape spikes 4' from the wall, so they are at an angle:

hoptrellis.jpg

I then set about trying to dig up the 4 vines that made it from last year. Wow, is all I can say. They really rooted! It was like surgery, because I wanted to take as much root stock with me as possible---and I did it all with my fingers. The roots had gone maybe 2 feet in all directions...it reminded my wife of the mandrake root from Harry Potter. Anyway, after some really long, laborious digging, I got them all transplanted. They've all got little sprouts...I'm very optimistic about this year! Here's one of the cascade sprouts:

hopsprout.jpg

4 more rhizomes get here tomorrow from Midwest!

Evan! said:
4 more rhizomes get here tomorrow from Midwest!

So who's arm did you have to bend to speed up the rhizome shipments :cross: ? I e-mailed Midwest and they said they would ship beginning of April!:mad:

FishinDave07 said:
So who's arm did you have to bend to speed up the rhizome shipments :cross: ? I e-mailed Midwest and they said they would ship beginning of April!:mad:

Dude, I have no freakin' idea. I thought they'd ship when I ordered, because it said nothing on the site about delays. When I didn't get a tracking #, I called them. The guy on the phone was having some problems with their fedex database, so he said he'd call me back. 10 mins later, he called back and said that they didn't go out earlier because of some kind of miscommunication with the backorder guys...and that they'd be in the mail that day. Several hours later they e-mailed me my tracking #.

That's it. Are you sure you ordered all in-stock rhizome varieties?

GilaMinumBeer said:
Wow. That dirt is almost as red as mine.

2338362884_ab3e12d1cc.jpg

I have composted the heck out of mine to get more organica materials in there.

Yeah, I used better soil down in the hole---the red stuff is just filler. We amended the hell out of that garden last year---compost, etc.---so they should do fine.

FishinDave07 said:
I'm not sure if these are in-stock or not, but i ordered cascade and willamette...

The fedex box just got here. Looks like they just shipped the 3oz of hallertau select pellets that I ordered-and the rhizomes will ship separately in april.

So there you go.

Evan! said:
The fedex box just got here. Looks like they just shipped the 3oz of hallertau select pellets that I ordered-and the rhizomes will ship separately in april.

So there you go.

Sorry to hear that you wont get your rhizomes ahead of the game. Happy planting in April :mug:

(not to hijack)

I have to do that...setup a trellis. I went a little crazy on my order the other day, here's what I ordered:

1 Brewers Gold rhizome
3 Cascade rhizome
3 Centennial rhizome
2 Chinook rhizome
2 Fuggle rhizome
1 Magnum rhizome

I'm going to give my buddy a Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and a Fuggle. He just bought a new house last summer, so I figured I'd give him some 'house plants'. I'll be planting 8 rhizomes this year, and he'll be doing 4 so in case one of us gets stupid, we'll have a backup for next year.

Are you excited about your yields upcoming this year?

Latest posts

Back