Less than 10 posts and trading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Why is everyone that is wanting to trade with me have less than 10 posts? This makes me skeptical to want to trade with you. Has anyone been ripped off here before? Any suggestions to safe trading to ensure you get your part of the deal?

I personally haven't but there was a guy last summer I think it was that ripped people off claiming to sell vials or something. It really doesn't happen often but as long as you use the payment method on PayPal then you are covered by their protection plan. If you don't get your item then you get your money back.

You should be fine dealing with those guys

Simple. As common rule for someone who appears to be a new trader, you ask them to ship first due to their lack feedback.

If they aren't willing, then back out of the trade (or trade at your own risk).

We all started somewhere and I know I've racked up a fair amount of posts in a short time, but sometimes people just don't post much. If I had 10 posts and wanted to trade, I would happily ship first. That is a good idea for sure.

In all honesty I'd be more concerned about how many positive itrader feedbacks someone has opposed to the amount of posts they have. Posts don't mean anything when it comes to trading. You want someone established that has a few positive feedbacks under their belt IMO. But as Hello mentioned, we all have to start somewhere. In your case since you also have no proof of being an established trader you might have to trade with someone in the same shoes as you and ship at the same time, or find someone who has positive feedback so you know you probably won't get taken advantage of. In that case if your trade is smooth you should get positive feedback in return. Then your establishing street cred! Hope this was helpful

Ok I'll trade I got the best of both worlds but you got to ship first! Seems you only have 323 post and 0 iTrader!!!! bawhahahahaha!!

Yes there have been times where posters here failed to ship for a trade. People claim they are busy or lost their job or whatever. The biggest I recall was someone welching on the 12 Beers of Christmas a few years ago (edit: yes 2011 from a non-supporting member)-- which screwed 11 people and they got a ton of free beer.

Having them ship first is the best bet. I personally also only do exchanges with supporting members. If they aren't paying $25 to the site, then I see the odds are more likely they will flake IMO.

So when a trade is set up here on HBT, both parties go to Itrader to finish the transaction?

I am going to trade eventually (yes, I'm currently a non-supporting Noob). I just have one question.....wth is itrader?

I agree, we all had to start somewhere. I was on another site trading and had to ship first for a few. It was nerve wracking sending out a dark lord and the guy not shipping till he got it haha...but if you're an honest person and someone needs you to ship first due to lack of reputation, then you have no reason to worry about shipping first.

If they aren't paying $25 to the site, then I see the odds are more likely they will flake IMO.

While that may sound unfair at first, that's one of the reasons we have organized swaps (like the Secret Santa) with premium/lifetime supporters.

Not only do they have a verified address and credit card to become members, they also risk banning and other actions if they fail to come through. We also are assuming that they are over 21, if the have the ability to become supporting members and verify with a credit card and address.

For everyone else, not in an organized swap, it would be wise to be smart and not ship beer or other goods unless you are certain that the recipient is over 21 and absolutely will reciprocate. All swaps on HBT, as well as sales, are at your own risk.

Back