Booster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhegende

Reaction score
I am not sure if there is already a thread about this, I'm sure there is but I am wanting to put a booster in my beer kit. I use a mr beer home brew kit and its the booster they offer. I am not sure when or how to use it. Does it act as the priming sugar or no. Any info helps thanks!

No, not priming sugar. Should be added to the boil when the other sugars are added. Boosters are usually just dme and corn sugar mixtures design to add more fermentable sugars to the beer and therefore increase the abv. Im not sure exactly what Mr. Beer does for theirs but I bet its similar.

From what I remember, it's added while you're heating the malt extract. Just stir it in, and you'll be set. It provides fermentable sugars for the yeast without contributing much flavor. It adds about 1% ABV. For a better beer, I'd recommend ditching the booster, and picking up a 1.5lb package of DME. It's going to provide fermentable sugars, but it will also improve the flavor and mouthfeel of the beer, unlike the booster.

Once fermentation is finished, you'll still have to add priming sugar to the bottles to carbonate them.

Look into the brewing methods for a Belgian trippel. If you are using a simple sugar such as cane sugar you should add it as fermentation activity is slowing down. Usually a few days after pitching. The simple sugars are easier for the yeast to digest, so its best to let them chew on the harder stuff first to get the desired attenuation. Adding small percentages of simple sugars will give you a small abv boost without a large affect in flavor.

image-2831675902.jpg

Could the booster have made it look like this because it looks off to me. I have not had those white moldy puffs in my fermenter before.

You heat your water in the stove and stir in the booster completely. Then bring it to a boil and shut off the heat. Add the malt and stir it in. Then pour it into the lbk.

Unfortunately, it appears you've got an infection. Nothing pre-boil/during boil should cause that. It's usually sanitation after boil that would cause this. Did you properly sanitise the Mr. Beer keg and EVERYTHING that comes in contact with the boiled wort? Spoons, lid, mixing utensils, etc. When it's done, you could bottle it and taste it. Whatever it is, won't kill you, but might make your beer a little "flavorful". :)

Now for the good news. You made beer!

Back