What are Norwegian breweries doing....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priemus

Reaction score
This is somewhat of a beer related rant.

The market in Norway is flooded with Pilsner. You cant get anything but that in 90% of bars, and even when you goto the import bottles in the fridge there its Pilsners from other places.

Now that wouldnt be so bad except for the quality of it. The most accesable Norwegian brands, Hansa, Aass, Rignes all make subpar pils, and also make, I suspect they legally have to in norway, Alcohol free versions.

Now, the main product, the 4.7% pilsner tastes aweful.

The alcohol free one has beautiful hop aromas with tonnes of spicy saaz coming through, and a nice balance malty and hoppy taste, not too bitter, just crisp. The beer is also brighter looking, and amazingly has better head retention.

What can they be doing so differently that the alcohol free product is far better in taste?

This is somewhat of a beer related rant.

The market in Norway is flooded with Pilsner. You cant get anything but that in 90% of bars, and even when you goto the import bottles in the fridge there its Pilsners from other places.

Now that wouldnt be so bad except for the quality of it. The most accesable Norwegian brands, Hansa, Aass, Rignes all make subpar pils, and also make, I suspect they legally have to in norway, Alcohol free versions.

Now, the main product, the 4.7% pilsner tastes aweful.

The alcohol free one has beautiful hop aromas with tonnes of spicy saaz coming through, and a nice balance malty and hoppy taste, not too bitter, just crisp. The beer is also brighter looking, and amazingly has better head retention.

What can they be doing so differently that the alcohol free product is far better in taste?

I've just had a similar situation drinking a couple of na beers as well. I had a non alcoholic Labatt's beer that was so much better than the standard lager. And Clausthaler Amber tastes like some of the better vienna lagers I've had, including my own.

Oh good?

So its not just me. But it still asks the question, how are they managing to mess up the beers with alcohol in them? surly this is a less complicated process? dont tell me alcohol is ruining my beers :p

Look for Nøgne Ø beers, particularly if you like the American craft industry. They base their brewing largely on Pacific northwest styles and ideas, and I think they even did a collaboration brew with Stone.

I do look at those beers, and drink them quite often, they arnt badly priced compared to the relative crap beers on offer in the super markets.

I just cant get over how the "big boys" in brewing here can make such tastly alcohol free beers, but offer such terrible mainstream product.

Hehe, you havnt tried "strange christmas" annual christmas beer (one of several actually) where they just pick up the fridge in the break room and empty the contents into the whirl pool.

Some kind of rebellion against germany purity, or embracement of beer gezits. (if thats how to spell it)...

Either way, that beer is a little hit'n'miss from year to year.

Back